Mount Sinai Careers
Clinical Laboratory Technologist - Tumor Cytogenetics - Full Time
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
To assure that the Employee is technically competent, possesses required education and experience as well as other behavioral skills and performs their responsibilities accordingly. To demonstrate that the employee’s performance is evaluated and appropriate training- in service is provided. To assure that the employee is cognizant of the philosophy, standards, objectives and policies of the Department and the Hospital Center.
1. Demonstrates the ability to perform clinical/technical/service/administrative tasks.
2. Performs technical procedures in Tumor Cytogenomics as outlined in the policy and procedure manual(s).
3. Performs periodic/scheduled and as needed maintenance on instrumentation/equipment. Maintains documentation including remedial action for problems encountered.
4. Performs quality control and calibration procedures when indicated; verifies in laboratory information system; records on Levy-Jennings charts; signs QC logs.
5. Ensures that all required Quality Control and/ or calibration procedures are completed by signing out the records appropriately- per shift/daily/monthly etc., a) All QC are logged in the LIS and indicated on the Charts when needed)Signs all QC Logs.
6. Maintains all records as per the regulatory requirements: card files, patient requisitions, LIS Documentation, statistical data.
7. Consults with the Supervisor or the Pathologist, if needed, on all important results, conflicting or out of range (recognized patterns specified in policy) results. Notes inadequate volume and/ or abnormal appearance of sample
8. Reviews all Critical Test results by repeat analysis if necessary, and communicates the same to Nursing Staff/ Physician every time. Supervisor/Pathologist is always notified in extreme cases. Enters the details of the Critical Value communication in LIS.
9. Prioritizes work activities to meet the established/expected test result turnaround time. Always notifies Supervisor if cannot perform a test or it is delayed.
10. Assists in Inventory Control to assure adequate supplies (QC, reagents, calibrators and other consummables0 are available and reagents are stored properly (temperature sensitive). Supplies are dated appropriately when placed in use.
11. Participates in other projects/duties as assigned by the Supervisor/ Lab Management.
12. Takes initiative in resolving instrument related problems and finding alternate options for test processing
13. Uses available time to departmental advantage and assists where needed.
14. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area.
15. May be required to perform other duties as assigned or perform other duties when necessary
17. Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities.
18. Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
19. Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies.
20. Participates in Competency and Proficiency testing programs, reports results back to Supervisor.
21. Observes all Safety procedures and precautions: a) Uses Personal Protective Equipment such as Lab Coats, gloves, mask, shield etc., b) Disposes off contaminated waste and samples as specified by the hospital and laboratory manual.
22. Wears hospital ID badge at all times while on premises.
B.S. in Medical Technology or equivalent education to meet NYS DOH technologist standards.
ASCP preferred or NCA certification
Participates in the training of other staff members.
Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements.
Identifies learning strengths and needs
Utilizes learning resources.
Participates in continuing education. Attends at least four continuing education sessions a year.
Excellent in oral and written communication since there is a daily communication with external public like doctors, nurses, medical secretaries, etc.
Ability to solve problems involving specimens; Patience and finesse in the telephone
Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with patients and their families
Promotes team approach and clear communication for problem resolution in a timely manner.
Communicates suggestions/ new ideas for improving work performance/ operations.
Displays courtesy, tact and patience during interactions with all members of the laboratory, hospital staff and extended community.
1. Clinical Laboratory Technologist