Mount Sinai Careers
Data Engineer– Mount Sinai Health Partners
Mount Sinai is one of the largest non-profit health systems in the U.S. with a strong reputation for quality of care (18th ranked academic medical center) and research/education (22nd ranked medical school). Our health system has ~40,000 employees working together to provide billions of dollars in high-quality care for millions of patients each year.
We are accelerating a transition to a business model focused on population health management – our goal is to keep entire communities healthy and out of the hospital. Mount Sinai Health Partners (MSHP) is the team driving this transformation within Mount Sinai. The team includes 400+ employees with clinical, contracting, finance, IT, analytics, operations, and product development expertise.
MSHP is a fast growing business unit within Mount Sinai and is looking for team members who:
· Are comfortable “playing up” and “playing down” as needed to accomplish business objectives
· Work productively amidst ambiguity
· Thrive in fast-paced work environments
· Seek to improve the status quo
Mount Sinai Health Partners is realizing this new objective in two ways. First, we engage in value-based contracts with health plans. Using analytical insights, we deploy our clinical programs to improve the health of attributed populations and maximize customer value. Second, we have created a team to assemble our clinical and population health assets into product offerings (e.g., care bundles, worksite health centers, insurance products in partnership with health plans), and sell them to individuals and employers via multiple channels. Each of these new product offerings will have important population health features including: (1) value-based pricing (2) a curated network of high-value physicians (3) optimized care pathways and related programs, and (4) an enhanced patient experience. The goal of each product is to increase the value for employers and their employees, mitigating the effects of the affordability crisis.
MSHP seeks a Data Engineer.
Mount Sinai Health Partners, the population health division of the Mount Sinai Health System and the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, located in the New York Metropolitan area and ranked 5th in FastCompany’s “Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Big Data” is searching for a highly qualified Data Engineer. In this role, you will design, develop and provision highly curated marts of data in an Oracle data warehouse and Big Data platform. These data marts fuel analysis and create insights and BI (Business Intelligence) solutions that contribute to sound strategic planning, decision-making, goal setting, and effective performance measurement.
This role would report directly to the Lead Data Engineer.
In this role, you will be responsible for data management and engineering in support of the Actuarial Informatics team of data scientists who deliver reporting, statistical modeling and advanced analytics for each of the diverse MSHP business areas. The role will also be supporting, enhancing an enriching the existing claims data warehouse for supporting the data scientist team with various projects and stakeholders.
· Effectively collaborate and communicate with your stakeholders and customers to understand their needs and ensure all data management requests are properly triaged, recorded and tracked.
· Work with enrollment, eligibility, medical claims, pharmacy claims, utilization, clinical, medical management, financial, administrative and other corporate or third party data from raw, modeled and disparate internal and external sources.
o Work with departmental staff to identify business requirements for data intake, reporting and / or business intelligence tools.
o Ensure all data intake leverages approved enterprise methods for data exchange and transfer, including setup and utilization of secure FTP.
o Identify necessary data, data sources and methodologies to meet the business need.
o Work with IT or independently to collect, organize, integrate, profile and curate data, in both our Oracle RDMS or new Big Data platform Microsoft Azure Hadoop.
o Identify and address expected and unforeseen data complexities to mitigate their impact on the analytic outcome and associated business decisions. Clearly communicate data issues to the recipients and work to improve data quality where possible within the data marts you create.
o Feed data quality issues back to IT or identified data stewards (inside and outside the team) to assist in our quest for the highest quality data.
o Assist in building reports or dashboards that profile or express the quality of data to your stakeholders.
· Design and build complex Extract, Transform & Load (ETL) routines to ensure that data intake is consistently processed and integrated in accordance with approved business logic.
· Design and build data marts to specification to enhance efficiency of standard reporting and analyses being built by data science analysts.
· Execute production programs on daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly schedule for standardized reporting and other data processes that have been built by data science analysts.
· Adhere to corporate standards for performance metrics, data collection, data integrity, query design, and reporting format to ensure high quality, meaningful analytic output.
· Help identify and understand data from internal and external sources for competitive, scenario and performance analyses, and financial modeling to gain member/provider insight into new and existing processes and business opportunities.
· Work closely with IT on the ongoing improvement of Mount Sinai’s integrated data warehouse, driven by strategic and business needs, and designed to ensure data and reporting consistency throughout the organization.
· Develop and maintain project work plans, including critical tasks, milestones, timelines, interdependencies and contingencies. Track and report progress. Keep stakeholders apprised of project status and implications for completion.
· Provide technical support to data analytics functions as they relate to varied business units, and technical expertise on the selection, development and implementation of various reporting and BI tools tied to business unit reporting requirements.
· Prepare clear, well-organized project-specific documentation, including, at a minimum, data dictionaries, analytic methods used, key decision points and caveats, with sufficient detail to support comprehension and replication.
· Ability to coordinate with offshore development resources on various requests and projects.
· Assist and teach others within the organization on how to define meaningful process and performance measures
· Share development and process knowledge with other staff to assure redundancy and continuously build a core of technical strength within the organization.
· Demonstrate proficiency with the principles and methodologies of process improvement. Apply these in the execution of responsibilities in support of a process focused approach.
· Perform other data management duties as necessary or assigned.
- Minimum of BA/BS degree in a relevant field of study; Master’s degree preferred.
- At least four (4) years of data mart or data warehouse development experience for a health provider, health plan or accountable care organization including either:
- Basic understanding of health care EMR or claims systems such as Epic/Clarity, eCW, Facets, Amisys, or similar systems.
- Knowledge of New York State Medicaid and CMS Medicare regulations and related reporting requirements such as STARS, QARR, MMCOR, MEDS, RAPS and HEDIS.
- Experience working in healthcare provider analytics related to revenue modeling, managed care contracting, population management, case management, clinical or financial decision support,
- PhD, MD or DO program may be
substituted for 3 years of experience
technical skills working with SQL (Oracle’s PL/SQL preferred) developing
and trouble-shooting stored procedures and developing adhoc scripts.
data mining skills using tools like SQL, R, Python, SAS, Java/MapReduce,
to learn Business Intelligence products such as Tableau, Information
Builders, Dimensional Insights, SAP/Business Objects, SAS, MicroStrategy,
and passion to learn data acquisition, orchestration and provisioning
techniques with rapidly evolving technologies like Sqoop, Flume, Impala,
understanding of ETL tools like SSIS, Data Stage, PowerCenter, etc.
to exercise critical thinking and logical reasoning, and understand the
conceptual framework and database relationships underlying health care
to think creatively; demonstrated excellent problem solving skills.
oral and writing skills characterized by the ability to communicate
effectively with varying audiences.
ability to articulate goals, plan and implement processes to achieve those
goals, recognize and assess the implications of confounding variables,
anticipate consequences, and meet deadlines.
interpersonal (e.g., mediating, mentoring, teaching) skills required to
service internal and external clients effectively, and manage
relationships and activities that are diverse and complex.
and resourceful, with a demonstrated ability to think and work
independently, and to exercise independent judgment in originating or
developing complex techniques or programs in a complex and dynamic
- High level of integrity as demonstrated by 1) appropriate treatment of confidential or protected health information, 2) adherence to policies, procedures, rules, and regulations, 3) professional conduct in dealing with persons internal and external to the organization, and 4) sensitivity to populations served by the organization.