Mount Sinai Careers
Associate Researcher, Immunobiology Center
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Microbiome Translation Center (MTC) at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai is looking for a full time associate researcher. The aim of the MTC is to understand the role of the human microbiome in health and disease and translate these findings to improve health. The ideal candidate will execute and develop molecular biology assays and protocols for the isolation of DNA/RNA from various body sites for metagenomic analysis
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Independently execute microbiological, biochemical and molecular biology experiments
- Processing of (pre-)clinical stool, skin and oral samples
- Support multiple internal and external microbiome research collaborations
- Prepare amplicon and shotgun libraries for next-generation sequencing
- Work closely with Human Immune Monitoring Center (HIMC), clinical sample collection and computational analysis teams
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biology or related field required
- 0-2 year of research/laboratory experience in R&D lab, core facility or similar role; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Prior experience with DNA and RNA extraction from human stool samples
- Prior experience with amplicon (16S) and shotgun library preparation for Illumina platforms
- Organized, willing to learn and ability to work well in a collaborative environment
- Appropriate verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Organizational, problem solving and analytical skills
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health
System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common
devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the
city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join
us, you become a
part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.