Mount Sinai Careers
Intern; CMO Quality Initiatives
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
As part of the Office for Excellence in Patient
Care at Mount Sinai Hospital, the Intern will support and coordinate projects
aligned with the hospital’s quality and patient safety goals.
This is a highly visible administrative internship with direct exposure to hospital administration and senior leadership. This internship provides the opportunity for those looking to enter the world of hospital administration to gain direct experience in hospital clinical operations, fiscal management, quality and patient safety initiatives at one of the top academic medical centers in the nation. The Intern will work closely with senior management on a variety of strategic initiatives and projects that fall under the general domains of:
• Performance Improvement Initiatives
• Patient Safety
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Participates in the development of continuous quality improvement projects. Assists team members in designing data collection tools/methodologies. Assists team members in basic data analysis, as needed.
2. Help guide project operations by ensuring next steps are clearly communicated to the team members through utilization of project management skills and critical thinking. Facilitates coordination of meetings, agendas, and minutes.
3. Attends various team meetings under the supervision of their immediate Director/Supervisor as dictated by project or initiative and under the direction of their lead. Provides logistical support, as appropriate.
4. Intern will have the opportunity to learn entry-level project management, process improvement, and quality improvement methodologies and/or expand on current skills they possess.
5. Will provide workflow assessments and resource optimization under supervision of Office for Excellence in Patient Care.
6. Performs additional duties as assigned or directed by team.
Currently enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program
in industrial/systems engineering and/or the health care field. Graduate level
student is strongly preferred.
Minimum Computer Skills
Proficient in Microsoft Office: Work, Excel, PowerPoint. Familiarity with MS Visio & Lean Six Sigma methodologies a plus.
What You'll Bring:
• Experience with data-driven methodologies, analytics, and statistics
• Excellent organizational skills, analytical in nature with a curiosity towards solving complex problems, and strong attention to detail
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Proven ability to work both independently on projects and as part of a large team
• Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence: will interact with inward (clinical and executive level staff) and outward facing organizations (community agencies) which will require professionalism and restraint
• Strong organization and project management skills
• Ability to problem solve
• Data analysis/Analytical expertise
• Detail Oriented
• Bachelor or Masters level student preferred
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.