Mount Sinai Careers
SURGEON'S ASSISTANT - SURGERY
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Surgeon’s Assistant will assist in surgical operations under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses, or other surgical personnel. The Surgeon’s Assistant will prepare the operating room and patient prior to surgery and may assist the surgeon during the procedures. The Surgeon’s Assistant will perform support activities in the Unit as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs “scrub” assignment according to established guidelines, including gowning and gloving procedure
- Applies principles and practices of asepsis. Maintains and monitors aseptic technique at all times and institutes corrective measures in the event of contamination
- Distributes processed instrument sets, equipment and supplies in appropriate work and storage area
- Sets up sterile instrument table and prepares supplies according to type of operation
- Assists in draping of patient and operative area according to need. Observes and protects patient by correct positioning, application of restraint, strict aseptic practice and maintenance of aseptic environment
- Assists and anticipates needs of surgeon for instruments, sutures, sponges, and supplies according to knowledge of procedural requirements and constant monitoring of progress
- Maintains correct count of sponges, needles, and instruments with the circulating nurse and report correctness of discrepancies according to established policy and procedure
- Discards soiled materials in appropriate receptacle, decontaminate all equipment, instruments, and reusable supplies and cleans room as prescribed
- Maintains and cares for all specimens as directed to prevent loss or damage
- Assists in room clean up and makes preparations for next procedure
- Mixes medicated solution at the sterile field, only under the direct supervision of the Medical Director dispensing the medication
- Shows medication label to person administering the medication. Announces in an audible voice the name, concentration, amount and route of administration of the medication
- Attends quality assurance meetings to monitor quality outcomes
- Participates in ordering supplies and necessary equipment to maintain effective operations. Attends ongoing staff development as assigned to maintain appropriate knowledge and skills
- Attends ongoing staff development as assigned to maintain appropriate knowledge and skills
- Performs other duties as required
- High School Diploma or GED/Equivalent from an accredited institution
- Successful completion of a Surgical Technician program
- Certification in OR Technology from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting preferred
- 1-3 years experience in ambulatory, surgery operating room setting required
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.