Mount Sinai Careers
Data Engineer II, Scientific Computing
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Data Engineer II will focus on data collection, movement, storage, transformation processing, and storage of Big Data. The incumbent will work with both current ETL/Data Warehousing and future Big Data/Streaming/Pipeline architectures. The focus will be on choosing optimal solutions to use for these purposes, then implementing, maintaining, and monitoring them. Always keeping in mind the overarching goal of accelerating translational research and improving clinical care.
- Facilitate data collection from a variety of different sources, getting it in the right formats, assuring that it adheres to data quality standards, and assuring that downstream users can get that data quickly and with a common standard interface
- Ensure that data streams/pipelines are scalable, repeatable, and secure, and can serve multiple users within the Institute
- Develop as a core member of an Agile team, using Agile tools and methodology. Work closely with other team members including Application Developers, Database Developers, and Data Scientists
- Responsible for creating the infrastructure that provides insight from raw data and handles diverse sources of data seamlessly
- Enable big data and batch/real-time analytical solutions that leverage emerging technologies
- Additional responsibilities include developing prototypes and proof of concepts for the selected solutions, and implementing complex big data projects with a focus on collecting, parsing, and managing large sets of data using multiple platforms to allow for Research and Data Science initiatives
- Translate business requirements into modern data pipeline solutions. Create centralized documents and diagrams of all solutions
- Creates a data catalog store of all metadata
- Designs and implements monitoring, backup, and disaster recovery of data systems
- Approaches all relationships with a world-class customer service approach. Maintains a customer-focused approach with users to provide solutions that are science/research-driven
- Responsible for the integrity and security of data in all forms of storage throughout the Data Architecture
- Work with other IT professionals through Mount Sinai effectively. Comply with the Institutional Review Board and HIPAA to follow all applicable policies and procedures
- Assists in the development of standards and procedures affecting data management, design and maintenance. Documents all standards and procedures
- Provides presentations and training to other team members in the above
- Extremely flexible attitude. Willing to work with multiple types of technologies and languages with an open mind and without technology bias. Continuous interest in updating skill sets and knowledge of trends in the Big Data Technology space
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or a related discipline; Advanced degree preferred
- 4+ years relevant professional development experience, preferably in a Linux environment
- Proficiency with Python development. Flexible to learn another language as needed - Scala, Java, and/or C# knowledge is a strong plus
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases such as Oracle, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL/MYSQL, and Mongo DB (or similar such as CosmosDB or DynamoDB)
- Experience in RESTful service development (preferably with Node JS, Django and PHP)
- Familiarity with the big data technology space and the ability to leverage a wide variety of open source technologies and tools. Knowledge of Hadoop, Spark, Kafka and other big data technology stacks and streaming tools or related Cloud Service technologies on Azure or AWS
- Experience with Configuration Management software – Ansible (preferred), Puppet, or Chef or an equivalent AWS/Azure Infrastructure as Code experience. Also, experience with version control (Git)
- Experience with installation and configuration of big data software and technology or equivalent Cloud Service technologies on Azure or AWS
- Experience working in an Agile methodology
- Working knowledge of cloud architecture and implementation on Azure or AWS is a big plus
- Experience with Serverless computing (e.g. AWS Lambda or Azure Functions), creating VMs, cloud security, and other cloud services is also a big plus
- Experience with micro-services and SOA is a plus
- Knowledge of healthcare data, HL7, and Mirth are also a big plus
- Strong skills in data structures, data/file formats, algorithms and object oriented design
- Experience working with JIRA is a plus
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.