Mount Sinai Careers
FLEX STAFF - BY HOUR
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- JOB SUMMARY: This job is responsible for supporting the hospitalized child and their family through the provision of safe, developmentally appropriate weekend activities in The Zone and at patient bedsides as instructed by the on duty child life specialist.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Collaborate and communicate with the child life specialist on duty to accept daily assignment of patients in order to provide therapeutic play programming at the bedside.
a. Provide developmentally appropriate toys and activities to individual patients confined to rooms.
b. Sign out play, art, and other materials being brought to the bedside as per program policy.
c. Report back to the child life specialist (verbally and/or on the daily assignment sheet) regarding the specific activity the patient engaged in and how the patient responded to the activity
2) Manage and oversee Zone groups (or unit playroom, as needed)
a. Plan patient Zone group activities and submit to Zone child life specialist for inclusion in monthly activity calendar.
b. Maintain a safe environment in The Zone, monitor general health needs in The Zone, and ask for assistance from child life specialist or medical staff when appropriate.
c. Responsible for setting up The Zone activities, supervising the activities, and cleaning up
d. Provide toys and activities that are appropriate for a wide developmental range of children in The Zone
e. Orient, supervise and provide ongoing support to volunteers assisting in The Zone during play sessions
f. Calculate and record daily Zone statistics on attendance.
g. Maintain CPR certification and attend annual mandated training on the emergency response protocol in The Zone
h. Collaborate with child life specialist in organizing, stocking, and maintaining materials in The Zone
3) Communicate observations and pertinent information to on duty child life specialist daily
a. Verbalize an understanding of the scope of the Child Life Assistant and acknowledge situations requiring child life specialist involvement
b. Report to child life specialist any situations in which other healthcare professionals might need to be consulted.
c. Provide input to child life specialists about observed specific needs of individual children or patient activity in The Zone
4) Provide emotional support for parents/caregivers; provide developmental support for siblings.
5) Assist in coordinating special event programming for patients ie- KidZone TV programming and visiting community groups
6) Work on non-direct patient care projects as assigned by weekend child life staff
a. Maintain daily testing of crash cart in The Zone
b. Pick up activity supplies and materials from patients for safe storage at the end of shift
7) Obtain census in the absence of a child life specialist on any assigned day as needed to assess developmental needs of patients in order to provide therapeutic play opportunities
a. Communicate with nursing staff to determine the daily needs of the patients
b. Contact the senior on call as needed
8) Follow infection control policies relative to child life programming.
7) Submit agenda for scheduled supervision with child life specialist.
- Minimum Education:
High School Diploma/GED required/BA preferred.
Minimum Related Experience
1 year experience working with children.