Mount Sinai Careers
Data Science Analyst - Genomics & Multiscale Biology
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Icahn Institute for Genomics & Multiscale
Biology is looking for talented data scientists with the responsibilities and
qualifications listed below. At the Icahn Institute, our vision is to transform
biomedical research and healthcare delivery into a data-driven, evidence-based,
patient-tailored discipline. The Icahn Institute was founded in 2011 to help
advance precision medicine with cutting-edge technologies, novel partnerships
between the public and private sectors, and world class computational and
analytical resources. By maximally leveraging information from patients around
the world, we deliver premier precision care optimized for each patient, while
discovering breakthrough, next-generation treatments through insights derived
from cutting-edge analytics applied to unprecedented amounts of patient-derived
data. We promote a core set of values – designed to promote our future vision
of team-oriented, data driven global biomedical research: 1) Do good for the
patient, 2) Simplify, 3) Share openly, 4) Focus, 5) Synergize, 6)
Contributions, not politics, and 7) Deliver.
- Data Scientists at Mount Sinai work with clinicians, researchers, and engineers to extract value from data. Effective data science is critical to the success of our research efforts and clinical translation, ensuring we make correct inferences from the vast wealth of biomedical data generated at Mount Sinai and across the world
- Data Scientists may work on many of the cutting-edge research areas at Mount Sinai, including:
- Analysis of high throughput genomic, transcriptomic, epigenetic, proteomic, and other "-omic" data
- Scalable machine learning approaches to network and predictive models of biological processes
- Medical record mining
- Causal inference
- Apply computational techniques to analyze large-scale biomedical datasets
- Create data-driven models and data visualizations for clinical and research work
- Perform rigorous and reproducible data analyses
- Develop projects and work independently on a variety of data analysis projects
- Learn and use bioinformatics tools for processing and analysis of large datasets
- Identify and resolve technical issues and propose upgrades to current software
- Participate in the preparation of manuscripts, grants, and presentations
- Other technical and leadership duties as assigned
and commensurate with experience and skills
- Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Biological Sciences, or other relevant quantitative discipline
- Good organization and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to productively work as a member of a team. Strong verbal and written communication skills in English are required
- Experience in data science, machine learning, statistical modeling, genomic analysis, or other relevant analytical field
- Experience in programming environments such as R, Matlab, SAS, Stata, Python/Jupyter
- Working experience with genetics or statistics analysis software and online resources or other biomedical data analysis is a plus
- Knowledge and experience with software engineering best practices such as: version control, code review, unit/regression testing, continuous development/continuous integration
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health
System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common
devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the
city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you
join us, you become a
part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.