Mount Sinai Careers
Quality Assurance Engineer - Consumer Digital
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
As a QA Engineer you will get to work on a high-caliber team within one of the top health systems in the world. To drive this expanded focus on the consumer, the Mount Sinai Health System is building out the Consumer Digital team. QA Engineering is responsible for ensuring robust, beautiful, consumer-grade experiences are delivered using the latest mobile and web technologies and design considerations.
You will be the advocate for quality and own building and automating test suites to ensure it. You will collaborate with the Product, Design, and Development teams, as well as clinical, operations, and pilot rollout teams. The ultimate goal is to deliver real-world, modern products that help patients with access, navigation, service, payments, and overall clinical outcomes. The long-term vision for the team is to scale this platform across the enterprise and potentially ‘spin out’ to develop products for and with other health systems.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Team Collaboration: Work with the engineering and product team members to requirements into beautiful, consumer- grade experiences. Attend daily standups and manage back and forth workflows with development.
Domain Knowledge: Follow the market and the latest and greatest technologies being used to test software on mobile, web, and in real user workflows. Understand the different types of testing, what good requirements, stories, and bug reports look like. How automated systems work.
Quality Assurance: Attention to details, flushing out edge cases, and thinking of things no one else does. Being consistent and ensuring consistency through automation. Organizing a QA code base for reuse and ease of development.
Product Development: Build high quality testing systems that are considered part of the core product code base.
Quality Assurance Professional: We are looking for a software engineer with 1 to 5 years of experience performing QA and QA automation engineering tasks for web and mobile consumer grade applications. Computer Science or equivalent Bachelor's College degree required.
QA Acumen: At a minimum, the ideal candidate will exhibit the majority of the following competencies:
- Product Requirements analysis
- User/Persona analysis and mimicing
- Quality Assurance process
- Scrum/Agile processes, Story breakdown, Test case writing, Buget reporting
- Software engineering practices for writing automated tests
- Node.js, Ruby, Python or other scripting language experience
- Go, Java or other strongly typed language experience
- Libraries and frameworks for automating tests like Mocha, Jest, Selenium, JUnit, etc
- User Journey Mapping
- SQL query analysis a plus for data analytics
- Healthcare and/or consumer product experience a plus
Entrepreneurial Heritage: Entrepreneurial spirit and desire to quickly develop product concepts, with a focus on continuous improvement and long-term career goals to be part of a startup-like company focused on dramatically improving US healthcare
- Customer-Focused: Put yourself in the shoes of the customer, a patient needing help. Build the system you would want for you or your family during a time of need.
- Pathfinder: Nothing beats a relentless desire to innovate despite all obstacles. Hustle and find a way.
- Curiosity: Never stop learning. Challenge ideas and look at the data.
- “The capacity to learn is a gift. The ability to learn is a skill. The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert
- Opinionated: Bring innovative ideas to the table. Don’t be afraid to be wrong, and know how to have a professional, best-ideas-win debate. Collaborate and work together to refine.
- Passion: Empathy with a bias for action to make an impact on healthcare. Love what you do.
- High Standards: Iterate. Do not settle; great products are made in the last 10% of polish. We are building consumer grade experiences for people in need of healing, and they deserve the best.
- Ownership: Demonstrate follow-through on whatever you do. Take on any task necessary to help.
Mount Sinai Health System is accelerating a transition to a business and operating model oriented towards the changing demands of the healthcare industry. Success in this new model will require, among other things, an expanded focus on the consumer. Traditionally, the focus of consumer engagement was limited to their role as patients and associated primarily with the services rendered in our hospitals and physician offices. In the new model, Mount Sinai will need to engage consumers, their families, and caregivers throughout the health care life cycle, i.e. when they shop for and buy health care, when they are trying to stay well, and when they need care. Beyond the hospital and the doctor’s office, we will engage them at home, at work, and in the community. We must engage with them when and how they want to be engaged.
This will require Mount Sinai to “productize” these points of engagement with consumers. It will require new leaders with core competencies in the areas of software engineering, big data, behavioral economics, person-centered design, and rapid iteration development and experimentation, all of which are more frequently and effectively practiced outside the healthcare industry today. Our charter is to productize solutions using the latest and greatest technologies, operating like a startup, but leveraging a strong bias for action, clinical expertise, and robust funding from the broader Mount Sinai ecosystem.