Mount Sinai Careers
Community Educator/Preventionist (SAVI) - Department of OBGYN
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Mount Sinai SAVI Program is dedicated to validating, healing and empowering survivors and their supporters to lead safe, healthy lives through advocacy, free and confidential counseling, and public education. SAVI provides advocacy and crisis services to survivors of any form of sexual violence and intimate partner violence. Our Advocates respond to 7 emergency departments throughout Manhattan and Queens, providing crisis intervention, advocacy and information to survivors. Our licensed trauma therapists offer clinical services at 6 locations and in 10 different languages. SAVI also has specialized programming including Takanot (for Orthodox Jewish survivors), Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner Programs in Manhattan and Queens, and an Anti-Trafficking Program addressing the needs of those who are sex trafficked or commercially sexually exploited. Our Educators conduct primary prevention with a range of populations including school age youth, college students and staff, and community groups. Professional training is also provided to NYPD, medical providers, criminal justice professionals, mental health practitioners, educators, and others locally, nationally and internationally.
- Plan, implement and evaluate sexual and relationship violence prevention education programming and communications
- Make appropriate referrals to campus and community resources
- Provide support to SAVI’s Outreach and Training Program Coordinator as needed
- Keep timely and accurate records and statistics
- Participate in staff meetings
- Build and maintain rapport and collaborative relationships with other service providers and community organizations
- Other duties as indicated.
- BA in public health, health promotion, health policy, health education, or related field
- 1 year professional experience in higher education, education, or counseling
- Minimum Related Experience: Minimum of 1 year professional experience in providing community health promotion and education.
- Experience working with or on college campuses a plus
- Experience in anti-violence work preferred
- Minimum Computer Skills:
- MS Office Suite - Basic
- Web and Internet Skills - Basic
- Understanding of public health prevention models - Basic
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.