Mount Sinai Careers
PER DIEM OPERATING ROOM TECHNICIAN
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- The Per Diem O.R.Technician is an individual with knowledge and expertise in operating room technology. This employee is responsible for assisting in the performance of routine and delegated functions, under the direct supervision of the Registered Professional Nurse.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Perform "scrub" assignment according to established guidelines:
a. Apply principles and practices of asepsis.
b. Perform surgical scrub, gowning, and gloving procedure.
c. Set up sterile instrument table and prepare supplies according to type of operation.
d. Assist in draping of patient and operative area according to need.
e. Assist and anticipate needs of surgeon for instruments, sutures, sponges, and supplies according to knowledge of procedural requirements and constant monitoring of progress.
f. Observe patient and be ready for emergencies.
g. Maintain correct count of sponges, needles, and instruments with the circulating nurse and report correctness of discrepancies according to established policy and procedure.
h. Maintain and monitor aseptic technique at all times and institute corrective measures in the event of contamination.
i. Assist in care, handling and disposition of specimen according to policy.
j. Assist in application of dressings, and in securing drainage systems.
k. Assist in moving patient using Perioperative Services approved transfer device.
l. Discard soiled materials in appropriate receptacle, places approved instruments for reprocessing in the appropriate reprocessing bin; decontaminate all equipment, instruments, and reusable supplies and clean room as prescribed.
2. Assist the Registered Professional Nurse in performing circulating functions according to established guidelines.
a. Assemble and make available all necessary supplies according to requirements of the patient and surgical procedure.
b. Provide special equipment before, during, and after surgical procedure, as needed.
c. Observe and protect patient by correct positioning, application of restraint, strict aseptic practice and maintenance of aseptic environment.
d. Position patient; adjust table and accessories, as required for procedure. Follow OSHA and MSH P&P/guidelines by using appropriate PPE in the surgical suite.
e. Prepare operative area and assist in draping as directed.
f. Assist scrub nurse in maintenance of correct sponge, needle and instrument counts and report discrepancies to the surgical team and charge nurse.
g. Complete operative count and related records accurately, legibly following established P&P.
h. Observe personnel in the room continuously, control traffic, report and correct breaks in aseptic technique promptly.
i. Maintain and care for all specimens as directed to prevent loss or damage.
j. Assist in application of dressing, moving of patient and transfer to recovery room as directed.
k. Assist in room clean-up and make preparations for next procedure.
3. Assist the nurse in preparing medications or solutions to be administered during surgery, within the following limitations:
a. Mix medicated solution at the sterile field, only under the direct supervision of the Registered Professional Nurse dispensing the medication.
1. Label all medications that are not already labeled, for example medicines in syringes, cups and basins when Not for immediate patient use by the original preparer and/or if the medication is to be handed off to another provider for administration.
2. All such medications (i.e. syringes, cups) must be labeled with the following information:
3. Patient Name & DOB; Name of Medication; Strength; Dose; Date; Time and RN initial.
4. Medications must be labeled with a hand written or pre-printed label. 5.
b. Show medication label to person administering the medication.
c. Save all medication vials and/or ampoules until patient leaves the room.
d. Announce in an audible voice the name, concentration, amount and route of administration of the medication.
e. Do not dispense narcotics or control drugs under any circumstances. Have Registered Professional Nurse dispense these drugs to the physician.
f. Perform functions to assist in meeting operational needs:
1) Assists in transportation of patients to and from the surgical suite as directed.
2) Assist CNM by notifying of changes in par levels
3) Assist CNM by notifying any changes in instrumentation or equipment specific to the unit
4) Assist in keeping operating room and sterile storage areas and equipment in organized.
5) Assist in updating preference cards as needed
g. Supports in the mission, vision, philosophy and goals of the Department of Nursing and The Mount Sinai Medical Center.
h. Attends ongoing staff development as assigned to maintain appropriate knowledge and skills.
i. Is open and responsive to the diverse backgrounds and experience of other people and promotes an environment that is sensitive to cultural diversity.
j. Demonstrates a humanistic kind and caring attitude.
k. Adheres to dress code in accordance with departmental police.
l. Maintains attendance and punctuality record in accordance with departmental standards.
m. Assumes other responsibilities as assigned.
n. Demonstrates knowledge of Hospital and Departmental policy, procedure and guidelines.
o. Demonstrates knowledge of the Patient Bill of Rights.
High School diploma required. Courses in operating room technology, science, biology and chemistry preferred.
Prefer experience in operating room setting.
Certification in Operating Room Technology required.