Mount Sinai Careers
LEAD DATA WAREHOUSE DEVELOPER - SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Data Warehouse Lead Developer/Analyst designs, tests, implements,
maintains and controls the Mount Sinai Data Warehouse, with the overarching
goal of accelerating translational research and improving clinical care.
The incumbent will develop data warehouses and data marts across multiple platforms and technologies (e.g. Oracle, PostgreSQL, MS SQL, and other columnar and search technologies) for Sinai-specific and NIH-funded national resources and projects. Designs, develops and manages these resources in a high performance computing and data warehousing environment, utilizing a thorough understanding of available technologies, tools, and best practices. Provides world-class support of researchers – fulfilling data requests in various forms (e.g. data feeds, data marts, reports, etc.). Operates as a technical team lead, providing mentorship, strategic technical solutions, recommendations, and guidance for other team members. Specific duties are listed as follows.
- Designs, tests, implements, maintains and controls Mount Sinai’s research-oriented Data Warehouse, Data Marts, and other associated Research Databases for researchers and clinicians for grant funded projects. This includes major national and regional projects and data sharing initiatives such as the NIEHS-funded national Children’s Health Exposure Analysis Resource (CHEAR) and the data submissions and study support for the NYC-Clinical Data Research Network (CDRN).
- Works closely with technical management and researcher-clients to design and implement databases and database support tools in support of complex business application development requirements and processes (e.g., diverse development platforms, technological environments, software, hardware, tools, etc.).
- Provides technical mentorship and support to other Data Warehouse Developer/Analysts. Facilitates meetings to coordinate and prioritize work for the team
- Approaches all relationships with a world-class customer service approach. Maintains a customer-focused approach with users to provide solutions that are science/research-driven.
- Supports, designs and manages upgrades to Sinai-developed software that interacts with these databases, such as the Cohort Query Tool.
- Monitors transaction activities and assists in the utilization of databases. ETL maintenance and a full understand of the ETL processes is required. Provides guidance on ETL related activities to the ETL support team. Attends and leads ETL meetings.
- Responsible for the integrity and security of data in Data Warehouses and Data Marts.
- Work with other IT professionals through Mount Sinai effectively. Comply with the Institutional Review Board and HIPAA to follow all applicable policies and procedures.
- Assists in the development of standards and procedures affecting database management, design and maintenance.
- Establishes and maintains databases for user tests and production purposes.
- Performance Tuning of SQL, ETL Jobs, and related scripts.
- Trains user groups on procedures and standards.
- Must have flexibility to learn and embrace a dynamic environment, which could include other database and pipeline technologies (e.g. PostgreSQL, MongoDB, SQL Server, various ETL tools, Kafka, cloud database services, etc.) and other coding/scripting languages.
- May act as a project leader.
- Performs related duties as assigned or requested
- Eight years minimum experience in the design and administration of logical and relational databases and Data Warehouses in diverse technological environments.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline; advanced degree is preferred
- Healthcare data domain experience is required (familiarity with Epic is a strong plus).
- Strong SQL analysis skills required (Oracle RDBMS is a strong plus; SQL Server is a plus).
- Strong ETL development experience required (SAP Business Objects Data Services is a strong plus; SSIS, Talend, Azure Data Factory, or similar is a plus).
- Scripting and automation experience (Shell, Python, PERL, or similar) is a strong plus.
- HL7 Interface knowledge is a plus.
- Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is a plus.
- Tableau experience is a plus.
- Must understand the systems development process and have a solid understanding of business processes. Requires excellent analytical ability, consultative and communication skills, strong judgment and the ability to work effectively with clients and other IT management and staff