Mount Sinai Careers
MANAGER RESEARCH APPLICATIONS DEVELOPMENT - SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Manager-Research Applications Development is responsible for planning, implementing, leading and managing both Mount Sinai- and nation-wide information systems and technologies to help accelerate translational research and improve clinical care. To meet Sinai’s scientific and clinical goals, the incumbent will bring a strategic, tactical and customer-focused vision with the accompanying leadership to transform Sinai’s data-rich applications and software resources to be more efficient and effective. The development and execution of the vision will include a deep technical understanding of full stack applications development and advancements in data processing and data transformation, customer service, best practices, research, collaboration and operations. This position reports to the Senior Director - Scientific Computing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the technical operations, development, monitoring, maintenance and software for various systems, including applications that facilitate access to the Mount Sinai Data Warehouse, the data repository for the NIEHS-funded national Children’s Health Exposure Analysis Resource (CHEAR) Data Analysis and Science Center, and related applications such as Mount Sinai’s Cohort Query Tool, Electronic Research Application Portal, REDCap software, and other research portals such as i2b2 and TriNetX.
- Provides technical and managerial leadership for the group developing and maintaining these resources. The incumbent will create plans for the continued development of these resources and maintain the resources consistent with best practices.
- Develops and refines yearly, monthly and weekly goals for the group. Assigns and coordinates the work of staff, contractors and vendors, encouraging an Agile work environment, and requiring use of Agile tools.
- Collaborates effectively with IT, compliance, HIPAA, security and other departments to ensure compliance with all regulations and Sinai policies.
- Communicates with Sinai clinicians and researchers to jointly develop plans, proposals and provide effective applications and technology solutions.
- Works with Systems Administrators to manage full stack services for the team.
- Directs the daily operations in accordance with best practices for high availability, high performance and usability. Available to the team for managerial direction and support during off-hours related issues.
- Remains current with technological advances in the industry at large as well as at peer institutions and makes recommendations for the deployment of innovative technologies. Partners with other peers regionally, nationally and internationally to discover, propose and deploy a world class research infrastructure for Mount Sinai. Regularly provides recommendations for innovative technology and customer service approaches to improve the effectiveness, efficiency, and customer satisfaction of the resources to the Senior Director for Scientific Computing.
- Approaches all relationships with a world-class customer service approach. Maintains a customer-focused approach with users to provide solutions that are science/research driven.
- Oversees the development and centralization of technical documentation for the staff as well as for researchers and clinicians who use the group’s resources.
- Maintains necessary controls to assure compliance with budgeted expenses, resources and staffing projections. Provides suggestions to further expand the group and make its operations sustainable.
- Manages the development and improvement of required Standard Operating Procedures and Policies.
- Develops, tests and updates strategies for back-up, high availability, and disaster recovery in accordance with best practices and the IT department.
- Develops staff and monitors programs to support production services including staffing, standards, productivity analysis, cost factors, benefits realization and operations processing.
- Coordinates, develops, and executes programs for continual measurement of the organization’s system performance and effectiveness, and development of related metric/analysis.
- Ensures the provisioning of cost-efficient information services and systems. Anticipates developments in fields of information technology. Writes recommendations for enhancement to existing systems through on-going review.
- Manages the operations for a team of Applications Developers, System Administrator, and Data Engineer. Completes required continuous training and education including department specific requirements. Develop training and professional development plans for staff.
- Assists with research proposals. Develops, writes and presents at meetings and conferences on topics related to our department experience and technologies. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or another scientific field. Master's or PhD preferred.
- 8 years of progressive Full Stack Applications Development and Data Technology management and project experience.
- Proven leadership and management skills, the ability to manage a variety of disparate tasks and priorities independently, promote the use of agile methods, troubleshoot complex technology problems. Requires excellent communication skills, analytical ability, strong judgment and management skills, and the ability to work effectively as a liaison between both healthcare and technology teams.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Attention to detail; Organizational, analytical and troubleshooting skills; Time and Project Management skills.
- Microsoft Stack (.Net, C#, IIS, SQL Server, etc.) is highly preferred.
- Specific experience with Healthcare and Research Data and related topics is highly preferred.
- Cloud experience is preferred (Azure preferred, AWS accepted)
- Experience with financial budgets and providing cost benefit analysis is preferred.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.