Mount Sinai Careers
Laboratory Technologist - Molecular - Full Time Day
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of Molecular Pathology (MSH) - Req Number:2375430
Job Title: Laboratory Technologist
- Demonstrates the ability to perform clinical/technical/service/administrative tasks.
- Performs technical procedures in Molecular Pathology, Tumor Cytogenomics, Flow Cytometry as outlined in the policy and procedure manual(s).
- Performs periodic/scheduled and as needed maintenance on instrumentation/equipment. Maintains documentation including remedial action for problems encountered.
- Performs quality control and calibration procedures when indicated; verifies in laboratory information system; records on Levy-Jennings charts; signs QC logs.
- Ensures that all required Quality Control and/ or calibration procedures are completed by signing out the records appropriately- per shift/daily/monthly etc., a) All QC are logged in the LIS and indicated on the Charts when needed)Signs all QC Logs.
- Maintains all records as per the regulatory requirements: card files, patient requisitions, LIS Documentation, statistical data.
- Consults with the Supervisor or the Pathologist, if needed, on all important results, conflicting or out of range (recognized patterns specified in policy) results. Notes inadequate volume and/ or abnormal appearance of sample
- Reviews all Critical Test results by repeat analysis if necessary, and communicates the same to Nursing Staff/ Physician every time. Supervisor/Pathologist is always notified in extreme cases. Enters the details of the Critical Value communication in LIS.
- Assists in Inventory Control to assure adequate supplies (QC, reagents, calibrators and other consummables0 are available and reagents are stored properly (temperature sensitive). Supplies are dated appropriately when placed in use.
- Participates in other projects/duties as assigned by the Supervisor/ Lab Management.
- Takes initiative in resolving instrument related problems and finding alternate options for test processing
B.S. in Medical Technology or equivalent education to meet NYS DOH technologist standards.
ASCP preferred or NCA certification
Participates in the training of other staff members.
Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements.
Identifies learning strengths and needs
Utilizes learning resources.
Participates in continuing education. Attends at least four continuing education sessions a year.
Excellent in oral and written communication since there is a daily communication with external public like doctors, nurses, medical secretaries, etc.
Ability to solve problems involving specimens; Patience and finesse in the telephone
Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with patients and their families
Promotes team approach and clear communication for problem resolution in a timely manner.
Communicates suggestions/ new ideas for improving work performance/ operations.
Displays courtesy, tact and patience during interactions with all members of the laboratory, hospital staff and extended community.
1. Clinical Laboratory Technologist