Mount Sinai Careers
Administrative Assistant II - Molecular Pathology - Full Time Day
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of Molecular Pathology (MSH) - Req Number: 2381512
Job Title: Administrative Assistant II
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Admin Asst II will provide a variety of coordination
services and administrative support to the Molecular Pathology team, in
relation to clinical programs (Myeloma/Leukemia, in particular), and the
Pathology department. The candidate will serve as an administrative liaison for
sample flow/test ordering, purchasing, facilities, and operations in particular
associated with the Myeloma/Leukemia program, the internalization of molecular
assays currently sent out for testing, and expansion of specimen collection at
other MSHS sites.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Streamlines and effects proper specimen handling/collection between different sections within the Pathology Department: AP (Annenberg), Specimen Accessioning (8th floor Icahn), and Molecular Pathology (9th floor Icahn).
- Verifies information on all requisitions matching specimen with pathology reports (where appropriate) and adequate specimen submitted for testing.
- Follows up with physicians about pending orders, incomplete requisitions, mismatched information, missing or inadequate specimens
- Accessions internal specimens and those from couriers from off-site facilities/hospitals into PowerPath and SCC Soft Lab 4.5 systems.
- Scans in all requisitions to laboratory system.
- Coordinates slide/specimen review for tumor evaluation with the fellow and/or residents.
- Coordinates special send out test requisitions for Myeloma/Leukemia specimens with the respective clinical team members and ensure results obtained in a timely manner.
- Communicates with clinicians/clinical team member if testing results are delayed.
- Provide administrative support to ongoing clinical studies for the Myeloma team in Molecular Pathology including weekly testing report download and organization in password-protected drive accessed by the Myeloma Faculty.
- Maintains pending tests logs, testing history logs, send out logs, rejection and cancellation logs.
- Files and maintains a log of leftover DNA/RNA/cells from assays.
- Files completed, unused slides by case type.
- Maintains inventory of send outs supplies.
- Serves as a liaison with other departments or external parties to as necessary to accomplish objectives and or complete projects or assignments
Additional Duties and Responsibilities in 6 Months:
- Receives/accessions specimens for submission to CD138 enrichment for Myeloma specimens.
- Distribute CD138-enriched specimens to respective laboratories (internal and external) for respective molecular testing.
- Assists in preparation of analytical validation/clinical validation assay packages for submission to NYS for test approval.
- Prepares database in excel spreadsheet, pulls data from various testing sources and tabulates data.
- Coordinate nucleic acid extractions, requisition form completion and send out of nucleic acids to Sema4 (MSHS owned) for next-generation sequencing.
- Track and database nucleic acid extractions, send-outs, report returns, and turn around times for Sema4 sequencing.
- Coordinate future sample workflows, records, and logs across laboratories for new assays implemented within the Division of Molecular Pathology.
Associate's degree or equivalent combination of experience; Bachelor's preferred
4+ years related administrative or business experience
Required Competencies include:
Knowledge of office and administrative practices
Knowledge and skill in accounting and budgeting techniques
Skill in use of personal computers and software
Adaptability: Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Applies Learning: Assimilates and applies new job-related information in a timely manner.
Builds Customer Loyalty: Effectively meets customer needs; builds productive customer relationships; takes responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Builds Strategic Work Relationships: Develops and uses collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
Communication: Clearly conveys information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Contributes to Team Success: Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
Decision Making: Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; compares data from different sources to draw conclusions; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; takes action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
Initiates Action: Takes prompt action to accomplish objectives; takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required; is proactive.
Manages Work (includes Time Management: Effectively manages one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
Quality Orientation: Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; shows concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checks processes and tasks; is watchful over a period of time.
Stress Tolerance: Maintains stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handles stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.