Mount Sinai Careers
SR. PROJECT MANAGER - GENETICS & GENOMIC SCIENCES
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Operating independently, under the broad guidance of the Director, Project Management, this position will spend 80-85% of time managing projects and / or supporting collaborations. The incumbent will be responsible for supporting the development and execution of project strategies in collaboration with key team members. The incumbent will spend the remaining 15 - 20% of time on efforts to improve operational business processes within the Icahn Institute, help with development of talent within the Project Management group and on personal development and growth. Specific duties are outlined below.
Support of the Icahn Institute Project Portfolio (80-85%)
- Independently manage project teams and collaborations with third parties, internal research projects, etc.
- Develop project milestones and deliverables; prepare reports that summarize key progress and issues on projects across the department and the institute, including preparation of background documents and presentations to Management.
- Guide teams through the effective execution of management-approved strategic plans for assigned projects; this includes ensuring risk management plans are fully developed, contracts are agreed upon and adhered to, change control procedures are followed when significant program deviations are encountered, communications within and external to the team are effective, and approved team resources and budgets are appropriately planned and managed.
- Ensure project data is accurately reported in databases and understood by development team members, including information used to derive costs, schedule, resources, and any other data pertinent to creation and management of project plans.
- Apply learnings from assignments on prior teams / projects to new projects and effectively guide teams in areas of developed expertise.
- Ensure that team meetings have structure and clear purposes and goals; facilitate meetings effectively and clearly communicate decisions and action items to team members and relevant parties outside of the team.
- Monitor team dynamics regularly to ensure optimal team performance.
- Take action to correct problems within a team stemming from miscommunication, differences of opinion, misaligned objectives, inexperience, etc.
- Resolve conflicts and issues within teams.
- Monitor processes and ensure that those responsible are informed of their effectiveness; advocate for and contribute to the success of change / process improvements when warranted.
- Provide input into the evaluation and revision of processes and tools used to support the projects, meetings, etc. as appropriate
Business Process Improvements / PM Talent Development (15-20%)
- Ensure Icahn Institute operations are managed or affiliated processes are evaluated and feedback is provided to process owners regularly.
- Actively participate in or lead continuous improvement initiatives that require project management experience and understanding of Mount Sinai procedures and policies, and which may involve influencing areas / management outside of the Icahn Institute.
- May participate in continuous improvement projects led by areas outside of Icahn Institute that have a significant impact on the work and / or effectiveness of the Icahn Institute.
- Provide input into the evaluation of the Icahn Institute's scope of activities as required by Management.
- Establish good networks with a wide variety of employees, as appropriate for the given project, to assist with the implementation of change management plans.
- Provide mentoring and technical oversight to more junior Project Managers working on common projects.
- Take relevant training courses to increase knowledge and understanding of the discipline of project management in the pharma and healthcare industries and to improve leadership skills.
- BS/MS/PhD with solid healthcare/pharmaceutical/ biotech industry or academic experience; Master’s degree / MBA
- > 5 years of healthcare/pharmaceutical/ biotech industry experience
- > 5 years of project management or related experience
- Depth of expertise in own discipline and some knowledge of other disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and accomplish goals in team settings
- Ability to relate project details to larger institute strategies to provide context to teams
- Effective interpersonal skills; able to establish good working relationships and collaborate with networks of employees of all levels; able to foster cooperation in others; creative problem-solver.
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Knows when and how to speak up and appropriately raise issues to the team and management
- Keeps team members, departmental colleagues (as appropriate) and management fully apprised of project / initiative status and issues
- Demonstrated leadership and credibility: diplomatic, decisive, straightforward, honest
- Ability to delegate work effectively and hold others accountable for deliverables.
- Experience in leading teams, committees, or task forces is preferred
- Project Management certification (PMI) / training and / or coursework & training in Project Management or Six Sigma are preferred