Mount Sinai Careers
The Postdoctoral Fellow independently conducts research experiments to support ongoing projects using advanced techniques, analyze and interpret highly complex results, and review and present data for publication and/or presentation. He/she will also assist less experienced personnel the lab such as students and volunteers. The Postdoctoral Fellow will report directly to a Principal Investigator (PI).
The Tisch Cancer Institute is a vital component of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital and plays a key role in the Mount Sinai Health System, which is one of the largest health care systems in the nation. We are a National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated center and provide a multidisciplinary approach to cancer treatments and clinical breakthroughs that may one day put an end to cancer.
1. Conducts a variety of research experiments under the direction of lab PI using basic molecular, cellular biology methods, and advanced research techniques; including cytotoxicity assays, PCR, Western Blot; and analysis of samples through flow cytometry. Must be able to read and understand scientific data being applied to conduct the research.
2. Coordinates project activities to meet deadlines.
3. Collaborates with the Principal Investigator in the development of new experiments and research techniques. Incumbents are expected to stay apprised of the literature as well as practical skill sets relevant to the field.
4. Assists in the implementation of standardized protocols for experiments and training purposes; create and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) specific for each study.
5. Assists the Principal Investigator with publications by extracting and compiling moderate to complex research data (i.e. related to oncology, immunology, microbiology, etc); assisting in interpreting the data; reviewing and editing articles used in scientific publication. Must have strong science background.
6. Nurture collaborative relationships with fellow scientists within the institution, locally, nationally and internationally.
7. Master computer and technical skills necessary for experimental execution as well as data input and analysis.
8. Mentors and trains less experienced research staff and graduate students in research techniques and use of equipment.
9. Ensures compliance with safety and regulatory requirements.
10. Performs other related duties