Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Arnhold Institute for Global Health at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai seeks to improve the health of people and the communities they live in, both at home and abroad, resulting in lasting global health impact at scale. To achieve this mission, the Arnhold Institute designs, accelerates, and replicates health care models that put people first and drive meaningful impacts on health and wellbeing.
By combining innovative thinking with intellectual rigor and data science, the Institute is making maximum use of both human and technological resources. Our work focuses on giving equal weight to the demands of the present and the predicted needs of the future. The goal of the Institute’s work is to create successful models that transform global health by bridging equity gaps.
There are currently 28 staff of the Arnhold Institute, and we run a summer internship program with approximately 4-5 total interns per year. The office is located near Mount Sinai Hospital, on Central Park East, in the historic New York Academy of Medicine building. Located right in between Manhattan’s Upper East Side and East Harlem, the population is diverse and dynamic, reflecting a number of complex public health issues.
The ATLAS team is comprised of two engineers (front-end and back-end), an epidemiologist/data scientist, a program manager, designers, and the Director. In your internship, you’ll also have access to other teams in AIGH, which are comprised of program managers, clinicians, and other domain experts. Overall, we are a collaborative team that leverage user-centered design principles for feature ideation and an agile approach for development.
AIGH seeks a UI/UX intern to join the ATLAS team. UI/UX designers are passionate about creating frictionless experiences that allow users to perform, create, organize, and ultimately enhance users' lives through our products and platforms. We focus on simplicity, cultural relevance, and delight to provide the best User Experiences possible.
As UI/UX intern, you will be exposed to every step of the creation process – from feature conception to development. Interns will be expected to execute on everything from napkin sketches, user testing, and interactive prototypes to pixel perfect mocks. The creation process at AIGH is highly collaborative and purpose-driven. The goal for the summer is for the intern to be fully integrated into our development lifecycle, and have her/his end-to-end contributions incorporated in our platform.
PLEASE Note: This internship is full-time and will be for 8 consecutive weeks. Upon mutual agreement, the intern may begin as early as June 3, 2019. All internships will conclude by August 9, 2019.
- Work with our engineers and designer to conceptualize and implement new ATLAS features
- Produce and test interaction flows and mocks that accurately communicate product functionality to product and engineering team members
- Develop and communicate underlying concepts that inspire design implementation
- Produce quality design that accurately reflect a visual design language/methodology
- Conform to modern UI/UX best practices and methods
- Work with the ATLAS team to prototype ‘moonshot’ ideas to drastically increase healthcare service delivery using technology
- Have a positive impact on company culture
- Other support as needed
- Must be at least a Junior or Senior or recent graduate of an applicable program (HCI/ Design/Psychology/Social Science/Developer)
- Experience in solving complex user problems and user interface design
- Capable of working both independently and in a group setting. She/he will be expected to own their component of design process
- Strong conceptual and communication skills. You will need to explain your ideas and may have the opportunity to carry them through execution, as well as the ideas of others
- Passionate about technology and its effect on people’s behaviors
- Fluent in the Adobe Creative Suite trinity (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Portfolio which demonstrates user-centered design skills including visualizations of complex experiences such as stories, flows, scenarios, personas, etc. (any fidelity), sketches to mid-fidelity interactions (show your process), and clickable prototypes (any fidelity)
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.