Mount Sinai Careers
Billing Supervisor, Department of Surgery
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Billing Supervisor oversees and coordinates
work of subordinate employees engaged in medical billing activities.
Responsibilities include oversight of check/cash posting, accounts receivable,
charge entry, edits processing, and customer service. Ensures that all targets
are met and staff work is monitored and meets collections, net, gross, days in
accounts receivable, and reject and edits targets. Performs more complex
functions related to billing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees work of non-supervisory employees engaged in processing claims, maintaining related files and logs, and checking patient eligibility for. Proactively identifies problems and assists in solving payment and other business office issues
- Monitors processing of claims for reimbursement and ensures all necessary documentation and attachment are included with claims. Interacts with physicians and administrators to coordinate communication of billable services to patients
- Orients and trains area employees in department policies and procedures and assists staff in carrying out their work by responding to more complex questions and problems
- Assists in the resolution of patient complains and concerns and resolves
- Processes payment statements by posting, listing and adjusting payments. Reviews denied and pending listings, notifies appropriate personnel and takes corrective action
- Gathers and exchanges information necessary to ensure timely processing and reimbursement of claims and to promote maximum cash flow and reduce outstanding days in accounts receivable
- Maintains effective communication directly with State agency representatives, third party payors, billing manager and verifies information regarding unpaid and late claims
- Assists in the development and implementation of department policies and procedures as required
- Remains current in government regulatory changes affecting Federal Payor eligibility, billing, and operational procedures and financials
- Develops special reports and financial/billing statistics related to area activities as requested by management
- May assist in interviewing of new staff and recommend hiring. May participate in performance evaluations of employees
- Performs other related duties
- High School Diploma/GED required
- 3+ years of experience with medical billing and claims
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Knowledge of CPT IV and ICD-9 coding
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Supervisory and leadership skill
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.