Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Job Title: Laboratory Supervisor
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Laboratory Supervisor is responsible for oversight of day to day laboratory operations and supervision of subordinate personnel, data collection, special projects, preparation and presentation of reports on special projects, budget variance analyses, review of test results, resolution of issues, problems, and/or complaints. Ensures quality service levels from all shifts, continuing laboratory accreditation by all accrediting/licensing agencies, processes administrative and financial transactions, etc.
· Supervises the work and daily operations of the Laboratory employees to ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines, and proper procedures. Evaluates and updates laboratory procedures and methodologies.
· Provides Quality Control Measures for test procedures; reviews and documents results; implements corrective action(s) when tolerance limits are exceeded; ensures specimen integrity from point of receipt and accessioning through filing/archival; ensures compliance with standards and regulations of accrediting and government agencies. Resolves day to day operational problems related to system, personnel and equipment performance.
· Prepares work schedule, assigns and prioritizes work to staff, ensuring adequate coverage at all times; prioritizes work when equipment fails and short staffing occurs; may perform duties of subordinate employees during equipment failure and/or shortage of staffing and/or on an as needed basis.
· Provides employees with guidance in handling difficult or complex problems and in resolving escalated complaints or disputes.
· Recruit, interview, select employees and provide effective recommendation for hiring and firing; evaluates competency and performance of personnel, recommend disciplinary actions promotions. Teaches new employees, trainees, medical students, residents and fellows on various laboratory techniques.
· Advises and orients staff on policies and procedures as well as quality control measures for test procedures. Ensures compliance with standards and regulations of accrediting and government agencies.
· Apprises management of problems beyond the scope of own knowledge and expertise
· Organizes and provides direction to in-service meetings and continuing education seminars.
· Reviews and submits departmental payroll.
· Ensures all laboratory personnel maintain accredited licensing and certification and submits the confirmation of licensure for the employees’ departmental file.
· Maintains adequate inventory of laboratory supplies and reagents. Provides recommendations regarding capital equipment acquisition and renovation/construction to best utilize space.
· Performs other related duties.
· Bachelor’s degree in sciences or related field, Master’s degree preferred
· 5 years’ experience in laboratory setting. Supervisory experience preferred.
· NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist License required
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Excellent customer relations
· Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
· Knowledge of accrediting and regulatory agencies
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.