Mount Sinai Careers
SENIOR MATERIALS COORDINATOR
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Senior Materials Coordinator- Materials Management- Requisition # 2407026
- Procures and manages the shelf stock of all consumables used in the preoperative environment and other assigned areas including commodity and implantable products.
- Uses the materials management inventory control system, and handheld devices to place orders directly with vendors or Stat Stores.
- Expedites outstanding orders with vendors to discuss problems concerning lead times, backorders, credit holds, amounts, allocations, and availability of items. When necessary checks alternate vendors for substitute supplies and equipment.
- Scrutinizes packing slips and pick ticket information for supplies received on daily basis for accuracy and communicate over-shipments, shortages, damages, incorrect catalog numbers or quantities and PO’s or unusual situation to the supervisor staff, Materials Management, Receiving and Purchasing department.
- Replenishes supply/equipment areas according to established par levels.
- Reviews implant logs on a daily basis and orders implants accordingly as they are used purchases in excess of 5 Million
- Replaces inventory of frozen human tissue as needed and records them in to the Implant log system as mandated by the regulatory agencies.
- Provides cross training for all preoperative specialty areas including Cardiac, Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, Vascular, GU/GYN, Plastics and Ophthalmology and other assigned areas to have trained staff available during periods of short staffing or position vacancies.
- Interfaces with other support departments to ensure timely and appropriate supply and logistical services.
- Collaborates with Nursing Staff, Clinical Coordinator, or authorized personnel to appropriately identify par levels for supplies/equipment and supply locations. Recommends process changes needed to ensure effective and efficient supply levels for the preoperative environment, SPD, Cath Lab, Radiology, Neuro, and other areas throughout the hospital.
- In coordination with Materials Management, Purchasing and Receiving department, prepares the appropriate paperwork for the return and credit of supplies and equipment.
- Responds quickly and comprehensively to all product and device recalls mandated by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Disease Control (CDC), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and other regulatory agencies. Work with Nurse Managers, Clinical Coordinators, Materials Management and Purchasing department to coordinate the return of recalled products.
- Acts as department liaison for customer service and generation of Materials Reports, also providing assistance in resolving customer inquiries (i.e., missing packages, order status), knowledge of service and inventory control functions, data to VP, Directors and Managers.
- Maintains accurate item and vendor files in the purchasing system by updating all key fields such as description, manufacturer, catalog number, price and inventory bin locations.
- Participates in weekly cycle counting and physical inventory activities.
- Ensures all finalized and completed work items are properly filed or stored in compliance with HIPAA and department protocol.
- Ensures that equipment is picked up and delivered to Clinical Engineering for cleaning, repair and preventative maintenance.
- Complies with all Quality and Regulatory procedures.
- Maintains inventory controls procedures for area of responsibilities.
- Rotates within the Materials Management Department to other assignments as necessary.
- Adheres to Materials Management policies and procedures.
- High School or GED required. Associate Degree preferred.
- Excellent communication skills. Must be able to read, write and speak English.
- 2 – 5 years experience in a materials / operations environment.
- At least 2 years experience working with computerized materials management inventory control software and warehousing systems such as barcode and handheld scanning devices etc.
- Knowledge in inventory control practices and warehouse functions.