Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
This position is housed on Dr. Ravi Sachidanandam’s team, exploring several dynamic sub-systems in biology, collaborating with variety of groups with wide-ranging interests to explore; 1. The genetics of mitochondria and the stability of its genome. This will provide a better understanding of the role of mitochondria in neurological disorders as well as tumor-resistance to therapeutic agents. 2. The diversity of the TCR-repertoire and its plasticity and elasticity that allows it to respond to invasions and remember them. We want to characterize this diversity and understand its interactions with the genome in various disorders such as auto-immunity. 3. The defense of the germline against attacks from transposons. We are working towards understanding the role of the piRNA pathway in this defense. Technology development is a big part of our work; we can only understand the results if we understand and control our tools. The research depends on wet-bench work and computational analyses, primarily concerning sequencing of RNA and DNA. Results from computational analyses guide wet-bench practices and vice-versa. This two-way flow of information has enabled the development of innovative and powerful approaches, including new techniques and technologies in the laboratory and advances in computational algorithms and tools.
Under limited supervision, conducts experiments using advanced techniques specific to the research project. Analyzes and assists in interpreting moderately complex results.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate/maintain all sequencing-related instruments (HiSeq, NextSeq, Sanger, Covaris, Bionalyzer)
- Prepare samples for sequencing (mRNA-seq, DNA-seq)
- Maintain inventory (reorder reagents if necessary)
- Perform routine experiments/reactions (PCR etc.)
- Manage the data generated by the instruments and prepare for data release
- Document workflow (maintain lab notebooks)
- Use protocols.io to maintain protocols
- Use Smartsheet or related software to track inventory, projects etc.
- Billing customers
- Master's of science or a PhD in life sciences
- 2 years of experience in wet lab research
- Prepare samples for sequencing
- Operate advanced instruments (Bioanalyzer, Nextseq, and HiSeq)
- Develop protocols
- Troubleshoot problems in sample prep protocols
- Some knowledge of automation/robotics
- Basic knowledge of computing/programming
- Experience with diverse instruments
- The ideal candidate should be experienced in all these. No beginners/inexperienced candidates
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.