Mount Sinai Careers
Adminsitrative Coordinator, Metabolism Institute
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Administrative Coordinator is responsible for the administrative and office service activities such as purchasing, payroll, records control and human resources for the head of a department, care center or division. This individual is expected to have supervisory responsibility of 1-2 clerical or other support staff. S/he typically reports to a division head, vice president or higher-level executive.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answers routine and specific inquiries when possible. Directs inquiries, when necessary, to the appropriate department or individual for further information and/or resolution.
- Assists in maintaining and monitoring the budget and grant allocations. Prepares documents required to maintain balanced accounts for review and approval.
- Initiates and follows through on human resources and payroll transactions. Generates weekly payroll submission. Maintains liaison with human resources and payroll to coordinate and resolve issues and problems.
- Ensures adequate restock of supplies for department. Takes inventory or examines merchandise to identify items to be reordered or replenished. Requisitions merchandise from supplier and collaborates with Purchasing to secure the best pricing for equipment and supplies. Tracks expiration of vendors’ contracts and renews as needed.
- Assists in the planning and logistical arrangements for forums, conferences, seminars, meetings and/or visiting professorships. Assist in the development and coordination of informational packets for participants. Transcribes and distributes minutes.
- Develops, updates and/or revises informational flyers, brochures, leaflets and mailings.
- Researches, locates and compiles information for reports. Assembles and categorizes figures for computation and calculations. Prepares statistical reports.
- Checks materials submitted for supervisor’s attention to ensure all relevant data, authorizations and pertinent information are included.
- May assist supervisor with the completion of grant applications, special projects and JCAHO and other survey preparations.
- Mentors, trains and/or conducts orientation for new office support staff and monitors performance.
- Coordinates administrative, secretarial and/or general office support coverage.
- Assigns work, sets deadlines and supervises the work of assigned staff.
- Performs other related duties.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of experience and education. i.e. HS/GED diploma plus seven years of experience.
- 5 years related administrative or business experience required. Some supervisory experience preferred.
- Required Competencies include:
- Adaptability: Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Applies Learning: Assimilates and applies new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Builds Customer Loyalty: Effectively meets customer needs; builds productive customer relationships; takes responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Builds Strategic Work Relationships: Develops and uses collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Communication: Clearly conveys information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Contributes to Team Success: Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
- Decision Making: Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; compares data from different sources to draw conclusions; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; takes action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Initiates Action: Takes prompt action to accomplish objectives; takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required; is proactive.
- Manages Work (includes Time Management: Effectively manages one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Quality Orientation: Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; shows concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checks processes and tasks; is watchful over a period of time.
- Stress Tolerance: Maintains stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handles stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.