Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The responsibilities of the Dosimetrist include the customized planning of radiation therapy in consultation with the Radiation Oncologist, calculations of the x-ray and electron beam dose rates, the continued quality assurance of patients’ treatment plans through their course of therapy (including personal dosimetry checks) and the instruction of staff (both medical and technical) in physical principles and technical procedures. The treatment of the patient is followed from the design phase through the implementation phase with weekly checks of each patient’s chart to assure that the plan prescribed by the physician is being appropriately and accurately followed.
- Creates treatment plans to accurately deliver the Radiation Oncologist’s prescribed dose while sparing critical structures.
- Correlates simulation radiographs with other diagnostic data such as CT scans to determine tumor and target locations and transfer this information from CT to radiographs.
- Assists the Radiation Oncologist in the design of customized shielding to minimize doses delivered to non-target tissues (i.e. normal tissues).
- Calculates “beam-on” times for the high energy linear accelerators in accordance with the treatment plan signed by the physician.
- Collaborates in the setup of the patient with the radiation therapists including the use of treatment aids and immobilization devices.
- Monitors each patient’s treatment and records to assure the quality of their radiation treatments.
- Reviews and compare the simulation radiographs with the treatment portal radiographs, when needed.
- Participates in weekly Radiation Oncology chart rounds to review new patients’ treatments and to assist in the peer review of the Radiation Oncologists’ treatment planning.
- Teaches dosimetry, simulations and treatment planning to Radiation Oncology Residents during their rotation through Physics.
- Provides information for protocol patients
- Performs QA for linear accelerators, high dose rate remote afterloader, simulator, and other treatment equipment.
- Assists in research, both clinical and experimental.
- Performs QA for the treatment planning system.
- Performs planning and treatments for stereotactic, HDR, prostate implants and TBI.
- Supervises less experienced dosimetrists.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree or RTT (Radiation Therapy Technologist)
- 1-2 years experience in treatment planning and machine QA is required.