Mount Sinai Careers
Associate, Customer Finance - Mount Sinai Health Partners
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Mount Sinai is one of the largest health systems in the U.S. with a strong reputation for quality of care (18th ranked academic medical center) and research/education (18th ranked medical school). We have ~40,000 employees working together each year to provide billions of dollars in high-quality care for millions of patients.
We are accelerating a transition to a business model focused on population health and customer value. Mount Sinai Health Partners (MSHP) is the team driving this transformation within Mount Sinai, 400+ people with expertise in clinical, contracting, finance, IT, analytics, operations, and product development. MSHP is a fast growing business unit within Mount Sinai and is looking for team members who:
• Are comfortable “playing up” and “playing down” as needed to accomplish business objectives
• Work productively amidst ambiguity
• Thrive in fast-paced work environment
• Seek to improve the status quo
Within MSHP, the Commercialization Team was created to assemble Mount Sinai's clinical and population health assets into product offerings (e.g., care bundles, worksite health centers, insurance products in partnership with health plans), and sell them to individuals and employers via multiple channels . We are looking for talented professionals to join this team with experience in strategy, product management, operations, sales and account management. We want people who are passionate about developing a true system of care that can create market-leading value for our customers, members and patients.
Healthcare as we know it is broken – it’s fragmented, expensive, and error-prone. Together, we are working to design a better system. Come join a group of smart, passionate individuals who are working directly with health care purchasers to design customized, high-value health care solutions. We are looking for an Associate of Customer Financials to join our Commercialization Team, to deliver a customer and patient experience of billing that is highly efficient, effective, and a best-in-class experience.
In this role, you will drive the design, implementation, and ongoing management of the customized billing, accounting, and financial reports for each of our customers as well as internal stakeholders in collaboration with our Product Development and Customers teams. This includes engaging with our customers directly as we ideate and implement solutions that meet their needs. The Billing Associate is a highly visible role with significant opportunities to lead change and engage with senior leadership across the Mount Sinai Health System.
Manage Billing and Financial Accounting Operations
• Design and implement customized billing solutions to meet customer needs.
• Manage billing operations for the Commercialization business lines, including worksite health centers, wellness solutions, specialty care models, and navigation services. This may include registration, scheduling, co‐pay collection, referral management, self-pay collection, systems set up and issues.
• Assistant in the creation of financial accounting reports and financial forecasts for the Commercialization Team.
• Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors.
• Work in close collaboration with customers, Mount Sinai hospital and ambulatory operations, and centralized finance functions.
• Develop and refine a robust playbook for complex billing and financial accounting solutions as MSHP gains more customers. This playbook will guide MSHP’s future contract structure, implementation strategy, and reporting.
Continuous Quality Improvement
• Map existing billing and accounting processes, identify gaps, and design improved processes. This includes Identifying gaps in patient the experience and proposing solutions to make the experience seamless.
• Gather and analyze patient and customer feedback to inform operations and incorporate customer feedback into day-to-day operations and governance process.
• Troubleshoot and respond to issues raised by customers, patients, and partners.
• Implement a quality management program for billing and lead continuous improvement process.
• Align Commercialization leadership on standard structures & processes, including process and out metrics & targets.
• Create and execute project work plans, identify and manage resources, and assign individual responsibilities.
• Interface with customers, providing subject matter expertise throughout the implementation and ongoing operation of product solutions.
• Establish and maintain relationship with internal stakeholders as well as third party vendors.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree required (preferably in Economics, Accounting, Finance, or Business)
• 3-5 years of professional experience in a finance, accounting, or analytics role required
• Experience with financial modeling and financial reporting
• Prior experience at a healthcare-focused startup, large complex health system, financial institution, financial consulting firm, or health insurer preferred
• Advanced knowledge of Excel, including experience building complex models in Excel
• Ability to prioritize and adapt quickly in a fast paced environment
• Comfortability with modeling and analyzing open-ended operational questions
• Project management and/or process improvement experience preferred
Additional Skills and Qualities
• Highly organized and detail-oriented
• Self-motivated team player
• Solutions-oriented thinker
• Passion for health care as evidenced by academic or personal pursuits and professional experience