Mount Sinai Careers
Medical Billing Specialist - FT Days - Dubin Breast Center
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Responsible for office, out-patient, and inpatient physician coding. Provides education regarding documentation requirements for improved quality of coding and to ensure accurate and complete capture of revenue.
- Responsible for performing specialty coding for services and medical office visits.
- Validates and determines appropriate coding levels by obtaining and reviewing clinical documentation.
- Compares and reviews charge tickets, both manually and system generated, to clinical documentation to ensure that all charges for procedures and pharmacy items have been accurately documented and captured.
- Ensures that documentation supports charges to prevent denials/underpayments.
- Follows-up on missing charge tickets and clinical documentation as appropriate
- Assist with implementation of documentation and revenue enhancement opportunities.
- Collaborates with clinical staff to identify and implement appropriate documentation and coding modifications.
- Reviews and distributes coding related information to clinical staff, including CPT and ICD-9 code changes, medical necessity policies, coding /billing information regarding new procedures and pharmacy items.
- In conjunction with Sr. Billing Analyst, identify relevant charge master or fee updates.
- Responsible for resolving any coding related errors and denials that are identified by Hospital or Practice billing system as part of the revenue enhancement initiatives.
- Consults and provides feedback with frontline clinical staff and financial coordinators to identify reimbursable indications for treatment.
- Assists on reviews of revenue cycle with management and supervisor.
- Participates in education programs to maintain up to date coding skills.
- Participates with the Compliance Department in random chart audits to ensure appropriate documentation, coding and billing.
- Associates degree or HS Diploma/GED plus two years of related experience.
- Two years of experience in medical practice or outpatient coding.
- Medical practice business office or patient accounts experience a plus.