Mount Sinai Careers
Pathology Grossing Specialist III, Pathology, Molecular&Cell Based Medicine
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Receives specimens, documents the macroscopic descriptions and prepares moderate to high complexity surgical pathology specimens for processing.
- Receives specimens for diagnostic purposes
- Analyzes, grossly describes and dissects moderate to high complexity pathology specimens
- Obtains clinical history, lab data, x-rays and scans as appropriate
- Describes gross features of surgical specimens and prepares tissues for processing for light microscopy
- Coordinates and/or performs gross description and dissection of surgical specimens and postmortem examinations
- Coordinates Frozen Section Room activities; assists in the Frozen Section Room
- Performs special procedures including frozen section slide preparation and triage of tissue for tumor bank and appropriate studies
- Assists the pathologist in the preparation and performance of human postmortem examination. Assures that all specimens are accurately accessioned
- Performs other related duties, including maintenance of surgical/autopsy pathology protocols
- Interprets physician instructions written on test requisition that is accompanying the specimens
- Retrieves biopsy specimen containers for quality control issues
- Collates bottles according to procedures for storage purposes
- Maintains cleanliness of grossing area
- Ensures accountability of each specimen container grossed
- Exercises safety precautions
- Performs related duties
- Education: Bachelor’s degree with Biology and / or Anatomy credits
- Experience: Five years of experience in grossing moderate to high complexity surgical pathology specimens
- Licenses: Clinical Laboratory Technologist
- Exerts up to 10-15 lbs of force
- Must be able to work in an area where dead bodies or body parts are kept/examined
- Must meet the general requirements of the Medical Center as defined in Personnel Policy 13.2
- Maintain a neat and orderly appearance and be punctual in attendance
- Follows the policies of Medical Center
- Works with and handles Biohazard (TB, HIV, Hepatitis, etc) and toxic chemicals
- Tolerates allowable limit of chemical odor
- Follows written and verbal instruction accurately and with good judgment
- Learns new procedures as required
- Maintains orderliness and cleanliness in working area
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.