Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Provides operational oversight of basic science research laboratories in the Institute and day-to-day management of the Director’s laboratory. Carries out independent and collaborative research projects in the Director’s laboratory, focused on mechanisms of epithelial regeneration. Assists with grant and manuscript preparation. Attends research meetings. Ensures the Institute and laboratory environment and equipment are safe, compliant and effective. Manages equipment in the Director’s lab and all shared Institute equipment, including microscopes, imagers, centrifuges, freezers, refrigerators, ice makers, water filtration systems, alarm systems, analysis equipment, etc. Ensures all equipment is well maintained; develops and implements systems for tracking maintenance, and training staff in proper usage. Oversees shared equipment repair or removal. Oversees scheduling of shared equipment use. Oversees maintenance of Institute space, including shared equipment areas and conference room; submits work requests as needed. Tracks and renews standing orders for shared reagents. Advises labs on cell culture technical and protocol issues, and vacuum, hood, and incubator issues, including proper set-up. This individual acts as liaison to other Mount Sinai departments, including Facilities, Engineering and Bio/Radiation Safety. Produces summary reports and databases that reflect inventory of all faculty, staff and equipment in the laboratory. Additional responsibilities are listed as follows.
- Works closely with the Director and with individual Principal Investigators (PIs) and management to ensure effective day-to-day workflow of basic science research laboratories.
- Carries out basic research in the Director’s lab, involving use of molecular biology techniques, genetic mouse models, iPSC models, and patient samples.
- Oversees technical staff in the Director’s lab and provides orientation for new lab members.
- In conjunction with department Financial leadership, develops and manages annual operating budgets for the Institute’s shared equipment resources. Works with Finance to develop fee schedules for users of shared equipment and any mechanisms for payback.
- Oversees staff who support centralized/shared lab functions, such as dishwashers, equipment techs, etc.
- Oversees the process of purchasing equipment and supplies. Assists in the negotiation and oversight of service contracts on equipment. Serves as the delivery contact.
- Ensures that all equipment is properly maintained and safe to use.
- Trains and instruct research staff and trainees on equipment to support specific research needs.
- Responsible for communications within MSSM Facilities Management to provide a streamlined approach to managing laboratory needs.
- Responsible for compliance to all school, local, state and federal regulations as it relates to radiation safety, hazardous chemical waste disposal, environmental services, and other related areas deemed appropriate.
- Oversees laboratory renovations as needed.
- Oversees and facilitates the move of new investigators to the space, as well as the relocation of investigators as needed and as determined by research space density metrics.
- Gathers and analyzes related data and trends to determine short-term and long-term financial research implications. Implement changes, restructure and improve services for research community and improve the financial position of the Core Facilities.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in biology, chemistry or animal science, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
- 3+ years of related research and administration experience required.
- Excellent communicate skills, both oral and written form
- Aptitude for quick learning and multi-tasking is critical
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.