Mount Sinai Careers
Bioinformatician II, Seaver Autism Center for Research and Treatment , Department of Psychiatry
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Seaver Autism Center for Research and Treatment is a fully integrated translational research center dedicated to discovering the biological causes of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and other neurodevelopmental disorders and developing breakthrough treatments. Our mission is to bridge the gap between new discoveries at the basic science level and clinical care by developing new and improved approaches to autism diagnosis and treatment. Our interdisciplinary patient-based research team includes psychiatrists, psychologists, neurologist, clinical geneticist, and trainees in medicine and psychology. The Seaver Autism Center is committed to serving individuals of all levels of functioning and takes a unique genetics-first approach to autism research. Investigators at the Seaver Center have strong collaborations with the Departments of Psychiatry, Neuroscience and Genetics and Genomic Sciences at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. We also collaborate with several other institutions, nationally and internationally.
We are seeking a talented, enthusiastic and self-motivated individual to join our team as a bioinformatics specialist working with big data to contribute to the exciting genetics research at the Seaver Autism Center at Mount Sinai.
The Bioinformatician II partners with researchers from the Seaver Autism Center and our collaborators on innovative genomic analyses of structural and sequence variation and gene expression in an integrated environment combining experimental and bioinformatic approaches to human genetic disorders. S/he leads a variety of projects and gains exposure to many productive areas of research, and develops/supports multiple research projects by delivering bioinformatics services for biomedical data from cutting-edge genomic technologies.
- Develops and may perform a lead role for a variety of bioinformatics analysis projects, including genomic analyses of genotyping and sequencing data
- Conducts analysis of microarray and high-throughput sequencing data (including writing custom scripts), participate in experimental design and statistical analysis
- Manages and maintains databases of samples and genetic variants
- Participates in the preparation of manuscripts and presentations
- Collaborates with wet-bench biologists and geneticists and works independently to analyze data derived from several types of projects using microarrays and high-throughput sequencing
- Performs quality control and analysis
- M.S. in Bioinformatics, Biomedical Informatics, Computational Biology, or Genomics
- Alternately, M.S. in a discipline requiring strong computational and analytical skills supplemented with some biology exposure
- Ph.D. in a related field preferred
- Those with a Bachelor’s degree and additional post-graduate experience are considered
- 2+ years post-graduate experience in a research environment, including the manipulation of large biological datasets
- Advanced knowledge of genetics and/or statistical analysis software and online resources. Experience in programming environments such as MatLab, R statistical package, BioConductor, Perl and C++
- Excellent organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to productively work as a member of a team
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience analyzing high-throughput genomic datasets
- Demonstrates strong statistical and biological programming proficiency with proven expertise in genomic analysis and advanced knowledge of analytical methodologies
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.