Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
FPA Support- Patient Coordinator- FPA Administration, 2420292
Greets and establishes first
contact with patients. Confirms and updates patient demographics and verifies
insurance as necessary to ensure that patients have appropriate insurance for
physician they are seeing. Responsibilities may include provides secretarial
and clinical support to Physicians & Surgeons in a faculty practice setting.
*This position will require consistent rotation in various Faculty Practices; flexibility is a must. Must be able to adapt quickly to a growing and changing environment.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Greet patients either in person or via telephone, enter and update their insurance/demographics in the practice management system.
- Verifies patients’ insurance coverage prior to patient’s appointment and advised patient of any insurance referrals or authorizations needed. Prior to patient’s arrival or at minimum at time of arrival before visit.
- Communicate with appropriate staff regarding patient’s arrival, and ensure that patient’s medical record is available for physician.
- Process/update HIPAA-related paperwork and other institutional forms as necessary.
- Collect or retrieve referrals or insurance authorizations for procedures and tests ordered by attending physician.
- Review status of waiting room on a routine basis and ensure that patients are kept advised of wait times.
- May enter orders into the electronic medical record (EMR) system or prepare prescription refill requests on behalf of the physician for the review and approval by the ordering physician.
- Ensures that patient has paid co-pay or collects co-pay under direction of billing staff, providing patient with receipt following established cash-control processes.
- May schedule surgeries/procedures or work in conjunction with Surgical Coordinator verifying times with patients; preparing charts, pre-admissions and consent forms as necessary.
- Answer phones for practice and schedule appointments, Take detailed clinical phone messages for physician or advanced allied healthcare provider.
- Follow all HIPAA and any other governmental or state agency requirements regarding the appropriate handling of PHI documents.
- Performs other related duties
- Education: High School graduate/GED.
- Experience: Must have a minimum 6 weeks training on-site which will be provided by FPA practice.
- Effective interpersonal and communications skills required. Excellent telephone etiquette.
- Knowledge of medical terminology strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of electronic medical record and/or billing systems preferred, (not required)
- Must be able to adapt to a growing and changing environment.
- Prefer experience in a medical office setting, utilizing a computer system for physician scheduling.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.