Mount Sinai Careers
PATIENT COORDINATOR II
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Dept- IBD Clinic
Job Title: Patient Coordinator II
- Greet patients either in person or via telephone, and update their insurance/demographics in the practice management system.
- Trains and mentors less experienced Patient Coordinator and administrative staff and discusses issues of concern with Supervisor.
- Assure that physician accepts insurance that patients present with. If not already done prior to visit, verify insurance prior to patient’s arrival or at minimum at time of arrival before visit.
- Communicate with appropriate staff regarding patient’s arrival, and ensure that patient’s medical record is available for physician.
- Process/update HIPAA-related paperwork and other institutional forms as necessary.
- Collect or retrieve referrals or insurance authorizations as required.
- Review status of waiting room on a routine basis and ensure that patients are kept advised of wait times.
- Ensures that patient has paid co-pay or collects co-pay under direction of billing staff, providing patient with receipt following established cash-control processes.
- May schedule patient for follow-up appointment as needed. Provide patient with guidelines for requesting medical records, if necessary.
- May perform duty as liaison between Patient Coordinator Staff and Administrative Assistants in addressing patient concerns.
- Participates in customer service initiatives, patient satisfaction survey, ACD and appointment reporting.
- Follow all HIPAA and any other governmental or state agency requirements regarding the appropriate handling of PHI documents.
- May participate and offer input into Performance Appraisal process with the Supervisor.
- High School graduate/GED.
- 3 years secretarial/directly related experience in a medical practice environment.
- Knowledge of IDX, Cerner or other practice management system experience preferred