Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Business Development Fellow (‘Fellow’) at Mount Sinai Innovation Partners (‘MSIP’) is an early-career scientist, attorney or business professional who has an interest in and/or passion for the process of bringing new therapeutic, diagnostic, medical device or digital health technologies to the worldwide patient population. The Fellow works and learns under the direction of a Business Development Director/mentor and participates in all aspects of the commercialization process including: technology evaluation, patent strategy and investment, marketing, contracting & licensing, and post-deal compliance. A successful Fellow asks good questions, follows direction, juggles competing priorities, completes assignments timely, and is eager to: contribute, collaborate, and learn. (The Business Development Fellowship is typically one year, and there is no guarantee of permanent employment when the Fellowship is completed.)
1. Has a basic understanding and familiarity of patent law and prosecution strategy and acquires new experiences and skills under the direction of the BD team; may participate in the development and execution of the Patent Strategy.
2. Begins to develop an understanding of commercial value and market positioning as a skill-building and learning opportunity.
3. Conducts Prior Art Searches, under the close supervision of a BDD, BDM or BDA.
4. Supports the BD team in the education and influence it provides inventors regarding the next commercial immediate value inflection point of a technology.
5. Supports the BD team in the education and influence it provides faculty regarding the next commercial immediate value inflection point of a technology.
6. Often develops and commercializes technologies from the scientific discipline in which the Fellow is academically trained, but with frequent exposure to others.
7. Supports the BDDs and BDMs in their work to develop technologies with MSHS inventors; identifies service providers of interest and conducts appropriate due diligence.
8. Supports the development of FMV under the direction and supervision of a Director or Manager.
9. Supports the identification, sourcing and evaluation of potential commercial partners.
10. May be exposed to the process of creating agreements as a learning and skill-building opportunity.
11. Supports the negotiation process, as directed.
12. Supports the BD team alliance management efforts as appropriate.
13. Supports the BD team in post-deal compliance, especially relating to the science and product development.
14. Supports the BD team in the development of intra MSHS networks and relationships.
15. Participates in local industry networking events, conferences etc.; establishes new business relationships.
16. Develops professional self-awareness; recognizes when to ask for support from BD team.
17. Is an MSIP brand ambassador, and reflects the brand (at all times) in: appearance, language, work ethic and behavior.
18. Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- Masters of Life Science or Business; PhD, preferred
- MBA or JD, a plus
- No experience required
- Some laboratory (industry or academic) or business (pharma or biotech), preferred
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.