Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Verifies insurance benefits for patients, determines patient liability and coordinates payment of uncovered medical expenses. Assists patients with insurance and payment issues and resolves problems as necessary.
- Obtains and verifies patients’ insurance benefit information from insurance companies or private payers regarding coverage for services
- Obtains all necessary payer authorizations and acquires all required referrals for services to be provided
- Negotiates modifies rates with carriers
- Communicates and informs patients of any potential patient out-of-pocket liability, and works out payment plans as necessary. May provides resources to bridge the gap between insurance coverage and patients’ liability if necessary
- Assists patients with questions or problems regarding insurance coverage and other financial matters
- Assists in the resolution of any patient billing issues
- Confirms patients’ coverage information previously obtained from insurance companies or private payers to ensure accuracy and that there has been no change in coverage since initial confirmation
- Maintains and completes all insurance assessment forms and agreements and ensures they are accurate for claims processing
- Performs other related duties
- Education: Associate degree in related field; Bachelors preferred, or combination of applicable experience and education
- Experience: 1 year (higher preferred) medical insurance experience including medical office administration, benefit verification
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.