Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Job Title: Offsite Medical Secretary I - Brooklyn Heights
- Clerical, reception and telephone support for the supervising physician.
- May schedule appointments for patients.
- Acquires insurance authorizations for procedures and tests ordered by physician.
- May enter orders into the electronic medical record (EMR) system or prepare prescription refill requests on behalf of the physician, subject to review and approval.
- Maintains logging system as required for tracking test results.
- Assists in the maintenance of medical charts and/or electronic medical record (filing, Op Reports, test results, home care forms).
- Prepares charts, pre-admissions and consent forms as necessary.
- May be responsible for Medical Assistant duties if qualified with appropriate training, such as performing venipuncture and/or EKGs, checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure room, assisting patients as needed with walking, transferring and dressing, as well as collecting and processing specimens and point of care testing, preparing for exam, etc. May assist physicians with various procedures, takes vital signs, relays instructions to patients and or families; answers calls and provides pertinent information.
- Retrieves physician correspondence from dictation service.
- Prepares physician’s mail correspondence.
- Compiles documents for surgical billing packages if appropriate to practice.
- Helps direct patient flow during practice hours.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED
- 1-2 years of administrative experience, preferably in a health care/practice environment
- Some lifting may be required
- Ability to communicate effectively with multicultural and language-deficit patients
- Effective interpersonal and communications skills required
- Excellent telephone etiquette
- Medical terminology familiarity and ability to understand HIPAA guidelines
- Must be able to adapt to a growing and changing environment