Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of Pathology (MSH) - Req Number: 2429834
Job Title: Pathologist Assistant - Full time Evening (2pm-10pm)
The Pathologist Assistant assists the pathologist in the
receipt, preparation and examination of surgical tissue specimens and
autopsies. Assures that all specimens are appropriately logged, processed and
disposed of in a timely and safe manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists in the preparation and performance of human surgical specimen dissection and gross description. Assures appropriate specimen accessioning, obtains clinical history, lab data, x-rays and scans when needed.
2. Coordinates and/or performs small and large gross descriptions and dissections of surgical and autopsy specimens. Instructs and monitors performance of clinical staff who grossly describes and dissects surgical biopsies and small grosses.
3. Coordinates frozen section activities with late dissections; assists in the Frozen Section Laboratory. Freezes, cuts, stains and prepares slides as needed. Prepares tissues for microscopic examination.
4. Assists in the preparation and performance of human postmortem examination with subsequent dissection, submission of samples and dictation of gross findings.
5. Assures that all specimens are appropriately logged, processed and disposed of in a timely and safe manner.
6. Gathers data and prepares statistical reports such as turnaround time and data analysis.
7. Provides instructions to residents and surgical fellows on appropriate processing of large specimens dissections.
8. Performs other related duties.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Science with at least 5 year of experience as Pathologist Assistant or
· Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Pathology Assistant program with no experience.
· American Society for Clinical Pathology Certification (ASCP) as a Pathologist’s Assistant preferred.
1 year surgical grossing
Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills.
Knowledge of gross pathology and anatomy.
Excellent organizational skills.
· **NY State License as PA is required – MUST HAVE.