Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Dept Name- Center for Computational Immunology -Tisch Cancer Institute REQ # 2431432
Job Title: Bioinformatician II
Roles & Responsibilities:
A Bioinformatician II position is currently available within the Tisch Cancer Institute (TCI) associated with the new Center for Computational Immunology. The Bioinformatician will study the interaction of tumors and/or viruses with the immune system and use and/or design software to gather, store, manipulate and analyze research data. The individual will work with a group of researchers/biologists on innovative computational analyses in immunology and oncology in an integrated environment combining experimental and computational approaches to cancer, virology and immunology, with a particular focus on understanding and predicting responses to current and emerging immunotherapies.
The ideal candidate will have strong analytical and programming proficiencies with proven expertise in studying biological data.
1. Writes custom scripts for analysis of genomic data derived from high-throughput techniques.
2. Designs and implements computational tools and processes in order to analyze large scale datasets.
3. May be involved in sequence and structural analysis, or statistical modeling.
4. May collaborate with wet-bench biologists and work independently to analyze data derived from several types of projects using methods such as high-throughput sequencing.
5. May work with research groups to help identify, implement and improve their computational and data workflow; assists in facilitating computing and data infrastructure.
6. Troubleshoots, isolates, and resolves applications and other technical issues.
7. May write and/or contribute to scientific publications and when needed, contribute to grants applications.
8. May give presentations both inside and outside of the institution.
9. Demonstrate the ability to perform independent research.
· Advanced degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Bioinformatics or related discipline.
· Alternately, M.S. in a discipline requiring strong computational and analytical skills supplemented with some biology exposure; Ph.D in a related field preferred. Those with a Bachelor’s degree and additional post-graduate experience may be considered.
· Working experience with genetics or statistics analysis software and online resources. Experience in programming environments such as Python, or C++.
· Good organization and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to productively work as a member of a team. Strong verbal and written communication skills in English are required.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.