Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of Social Work (MSH) - Req Number: 2443732
Job Title: Per Diem Social Worker II
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Interview patients and families to assess and evaluate patients' social, psychological and environmental situations. Review information obtained from patient care staff and medical records, to determine patient needs.
2. Provide social work services in accordance with social work assessment and conducts individual and/or group treatment sessions for patients and families with personal and environmental difficulties which may interfere with obtaining maximum benefits from medical or psychiatric care.
3. Direct patients/families to appropriate community agencies and resources for financial assistance, counseling, rehabilitation, auxiliary care, or to aid in location of, e.g., medical supplies, adaptive devices.
4. Conduct discharge planning for patients with disabilities or illnesses, assessing needs for more specialized care, and arrange placement in other health care facilities, rehabilitation institutions, or extended care facilities as appropriate. Participate in placement of children.
5. Participate as a team member in conferences with other health care professionals, and communicate to patient care staffs the social, emotional and environmental problems which may affect patients' response to treatment.
6. Work with other staff to develop quality improvement initiatives.
7. May participate in educational programs, related to social work theories and practices, of medical students and residents, and allied health professionals within and outside the Hospital through such activities as formal precepting, participating on committees, consultations, developing and presenting lectures, and so forth.
8. Develop and maintains contacts with various community agencies to gather information on available resources, to relay appropriate patient information, and to improve services provided.
9. Record concise narrative of assessment plan and interventions in patients' medical record.
10. Engage in educational development and field work experience of advanced social work students.
11. Maintain current knowledge about government and community social service programs and regulations.
12. Participate in appropriate educational activities and department meetings.
13. After appropriate training, demonstrates competency for specific patient population.
Master's degree in social work from an accredited institution
Knowledge of social work services theories and techniques.
High level of interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with Hospital and agency health care professionals, and to interact with patients and families during periods of emotional stress.
Analytical abilities necessary to assess patient needs, to develop associated treatment modalities, and to provide effective counseling.
Ability to develop understanding of the specific patient population with regard to socio demographic characteristics, behavior patterns, and service needs.