Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Physician Assistant - PACU - FT - Monday - Friday
We have an exciting and unique opportunity for a Physician Assistant to work in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit as part of the Anesthesiology Department. This position will have the Physician Assistant participating in the care of patients after surgical procedures while working together with the Anesthesiologists, surgical services, consult services, and nursing staff. This Physician Assistant role will focus on complex patients, and those who have undergone complex procedures due to their increased risk for acute instability.
The role for this Physician Assistant is uniquely integrative, and excellent for personal growth. You will have the opportunity to work with multiple different specialties including cardiology, vascular, pulmonary, nephrology, internal medicine, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, transplant surgery, general surgery, all while caring for patients in a monitored unit.
We are seeking a Physician Assistant who has excellent interpersonal skills, and who has the ability to communicate clearly and effectively in acute situations. This role will have the Physician Assistant working closely, and constantly communicating with a large team of Physicians, Residents, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, and Nurses from many different specialty services in the Hospital.
This position is full time, days, Monday-Friday, no nights, no weekends, no holidays.
- Participate in patient rounds with supervising Physician and team
- Obtain sign out from surgical/anesthesiology staff as patients are brought to the PACU
- Review treatment plans for patients
- Order diagnostic laboratory, radiological tests, and therapeutic interventions when indicated
- Write orders for medications
- Perform Venipuncture (including IV catheters)
- Perform arterial puncture
- Perform point of care ultrasound
- Assist in placing arterial catheters and central venous catheters
- Insert nasogastric or oro-gastric tubes
- Perform history and physical exam
- Document clearly in the medical chart
- Education: Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant Program
- Eligibility Requirements: Graduate from an ARC-PA (Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant) program, or equivalent as approved by the New York State Education Department. (Additional education/experience may be required for some specialty areas).
- Current certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Current licensure to practice as a Physician Assistant issued by the NYS Board of Medicine
- Current unrestricted DEA certificate for mid-level providers. (Full schedule: 2, 2N, 3, 3N, 4, 5)
- NYS Mandated Infection Control Course Certificate (renewable every four years)
- Current BLS and ACLS certification (for all Departments other than Pediatrics)
- Current BLS and PALS certification is required for all Physician Assistants working within the Department of Pediatrics.
- For Physician Assistants working in the public school system through the Mount Sinai Hospital Adolescent Health Center, only BLS certification is required.
- License: Physician Assistant