Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Supervisor, Laboratory is accountable for all administrative and operational functions of the laboratory. Ensures that staff follows policies and procedures to meet departmental objectives to meet patient needs and comply with regulatory agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees daily laboratory operations and supervises subordinate personnel engaged in the processing of anatomic tissues for pathologic diagnoses,as well as teaching and research applications
- Resolves day-to-day operational problems related to system, personnel and equipment performance; evaluates and updates laboratory procedures and methodologies
- Prepares work schedules and assigns work to subordinate employees, ensuring adequate coverage at all times; Prioritizes work when equipment fails and short staffing occurs; may perform duties of subordinate employees on an as-needed basis
- Ensures personnel safety and well being; follows laboratory, department and personnel safety guidelines
- Provides Quality Control measures for test procedures; reviews and documents results; implements corrective action(s) when tolerance limits are exceeded; ensures specimen integrity from point of receipt and accessioning through filing/archival; ensures compliance with standards and regulations of accrediting and government agencies
- Evaluates competency and performance of subordinate personnel; provides effective recommendations on hiring, advancement or termination of subordinates; when necessary, disciplines personnel supervised
- Orients and teaches technical staff, fellows and residents in regard to pertinent procedures and activities; designs and conducts continuing education training and inservice programs
- Conducts special projects and statistical analyses
- Maintains adequate inventory of laboratory supplies and reagents; provides effective recommendations regarding capital equipment acquisition and renovation/construction
- Provides direction and advice to subordinates concerning problems that are beyond the scope of their knowledge and expertise
- Apprises supervisor of problem(s) beyond the scope of own knowledge and expertise
- Expedites other responsibilities assigned by supervisor on an as-needed basis
- Bachelors degree in sciences or related field
- 2 years experience (3 or greater preferred) in a laboratory setting, with supervisory preferred
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.