Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Provides operational oversight of the assigned basic science research laboratory. Ensures the environment and equipment are safe, compliant and effective. Manages all equipment, shared across areas or in a single area, including microscopes, cell sorters, mass spectrometry units, etc. Ensures all equipment is well maintained, with development and implementation of systems designed for tracking maintenance, and training staff in proper usage. This individual acts as liaison to other Mount Sinai departments, including Facilities, Engineering and Bio/Radiation Safety. Produces summary reports and databases that reflect inventory of all faculty, staff and equipment in the laboratory.
- Works closely with individual Principal Investigators (PIs) and management to ensure effective day-to-day workflow of basic science research laboratories assigned
- In conjunction with department Financial leadership, develops and manages annual operating budgets for each shared equipment resource located on assigned lab(s). Works with Finance to develop fee schedules for users of shared equipment and any mechanisms for payback
- Oversees staff who are supporting centralized/shared lab functions, such as dishwashers, equipment techs, etc.
- Oversees the process of purchasing equipment and supplies. Assists in the negotiation and oversight of service contracts on equipment
- Ensures that all equipment is properly maintained and safe to use
- Trains and instruct research staff on equipment to support specific research needs
- Responsible for communications within MSSM Facilities Management to provide a streamlined approach to managing laboratory needs
- Responsible for compliance to all school, local, state and federal Regulations as it relates to radiation safety, hazardous chemical waste disposal, environmental services, and other related areas deemed appropriate
- Oversees laboratory renovations as needed
- Oversees and facilitates the move of new investigators to the space, as well as the relocation of investigators as needed and as determined by research space density metrics
- Gathers and analyzes related data and trends to determine short-term and long-term financial research implications. Implement changes, restructure and improve services for research community and improve the financial position of the Core Facilities
- Other relevant duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in biology, chemistry or animal science, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience
- 3+ years of related research and administration experience required
- Excellent communicate skills, both oral and written form
- Aptitude for quick learning and multi-tasking is critical
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.