Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Senior Clinical Nurse – Operating Room – Full Time Evenings
The Senior Clinical Nurse is a Registered Professional Nurse with broad knowledge and skills who participates in performance improvement, strategies to improve the patient experience, and serves as a resource for nursing staff in the delivery of quality care based upon nursing theory, research, and approved Department of Nursing and institutional standards. Serving as a resource for staff in the development, implementation, and evaluation of standards of care and professional practice.
- Patient Care
- Acts as a clinical leader to support the daily functioning of the unit on a shift basis.
- Delivers patient care by incorporating the tenets of the professional practice model of Relationship Centered Care and through the application of the nursing process based upon theory, research, evidence-based practice, and approved organizational nursing standards.
- Assesses and evaluates patient care needs and applies critical thinking skills in patient care management.
- Integrates relevant assessment and intervention skills for the delivery of nursing care.
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary healthcare team in the development, implementation, and evaluation of the plan of care.
- Coordinates and prioritizes all aspects of patient care including teaching, rounding, coaching, and planning “after hospital care” and delegating to others as appropriate.
- Educates patients and caregivers, while anticipating needs and readiness to learn, about their plan of care, transition of care, promotion of health, and prevention of disease.
- Communicates effectively and professionally with patient, family and all members of the Interdisciplinary Patient Care Team.
- Manages assignments within the Care Delivery Model of Modified Primary Nursing and demonstrates allocation of material resources effectively.
- Patient Experience
- Role models the tenets of Mount Sinai Relationship Centered Care (MSHRCC) through facilitation of the following actions including, but not limited to, Admission Welcome, Bedside shift Report, HELP (High Risk Medications, Equipment, Lines, Drains, Airway, Pain and Plan of Care), AM/PM Care, 5 Minute Sit Down, Purposeful Hourly Rounding, Medication Review, Discharge Wrap Up, and MD/RN Unit Collaboration.
- Considers the patient’s values, preferences, cultural diversity, expressed needs and knowledge in all aspects of care.
- Establishes and maintains a therapeutic relationship with the patient and family.
- Uses evidence-based practices to increase understanding of patients’ perceptions of care.
- Initiates service recovery for patients and family members who have concerns and escalates to Clinical Nurse Manager/Assistant Nurse Manager/Nursing Shift Manager or Patient Relations as needed.
- Demonstrates caring, respect, compassion, empathy and active listening through dialogue, body language and actions.
- Supports staff use of evidence-based practices to increase understanding of patients’ perceptions of care.
- Conducts Purposeful Hourly Rounding (PHR) on assigned patients addressing the 4 Ps.
- Quality and Safety
- Practices safe and efficient patient-centered care, identifying and escalating barriers and opportunities for improvement.
- Demonstrates clinical skills and knowledge crucial to quality and safety in the patient population served.
- Implements process improvement strategies based on institutional, evidence-based ensure and procedures.
- Engages in formal and informal peer and institutional review processes.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary teams to create and implement quality improvement projects, evidence-based practice activities and nursing research studies.
- Contributes to quality and safety practices and required compliance measures.
- Implements principles of high reliability to identify and avoid high risk behaviors to provide a safe environment for patients.
- Escalates potential safety hazards or gaps from best practice following institutional chain of command protocol.
- Utilizes institutional information technology by documenting nursing practice to support quality and performance improvement initiatives.
- Coordinates nursing care on a shift basis within a specific unit using the Care Delivery Model of Modified Primary Nursing.
- Assigns staff for the oncoming shift and recommends need for additional staff as necessary.
- Coordinates with Clinical Nurse Manager/Assistant Nurse Manager/Nursing Shift Manager to ensure that supplies are appropriately utilized and inventory is sufficient for patient care.
- Recommends the progression of new employees within their unit based orientation.
- Provides feedback to members of the nursing staff regarding adherence to job obligations, ensure and regulatory requirements in consultation with the Clinical Nurse Manager/Assistant Nurse Manager/Nursing Shift Manager or designee.
- Assists in preparing time and staffing schedules in accordance with unit needs, patient care and contractual obligations.
- Professional Development
- Contributes to the environment of care to support clinical colleagues, patients and their families and members of the healthcare team.
- Advances clinical competence in nursing practice to progress from competent to expert
- Projects a professional image to colleagues and communicates with styles and methods that demonstrate caring, respect, compassion and empathy.
- Incorporates ethical principles into decision making for patient and family.
- Encourages and demonstrates a spirit of scholarship, inquiry, life-long learning and innovation for self and others.
- Acquires knowledge and skills relative to the role, patient population, clinical specialty and local or global health community needs.
- Participates in shared decision making through specialty practice councils, nursing department committees, and unit initiatives.
- Serves as a professional role model and preceptor for new staff and students.
- Advances as a clinical leader by assuming the charge role and acting as a patient throughput facilitator and resource person for the unit/clinical service area.
- Articulates the values of research and evidenced based practice and its application to the environment of care.
- Contributes to the profession of nursing through participation in professional organizations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing / BSN required; Masters preferred.
- Current New York State Registered Nurse / RN license
- Relevant clinical competence in area of nursing practice assigned
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.