Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Senior Billing Coordinator (Generalist) is responsible for multiple components of the billing process, including Accounts Receivable, Charge Entry, Edits and Payment Posting. Proficient in these processes to ensure accurate and timely payment of claims and collection, and in analysis and problem resolution
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Verifies insurance and registration data for scheduled office, outpatient, and inpatient encounters and scheduled surgeries; reviews encounter forms for accuracy. May be responsible for obtaining pre-certification for scheduled surgeries and admissions
- Enters office, inpatient, and/or outpatient charges with accurate data entry of codes. Ensures charges are entered/processed in accordance with policies and procedures
- May run and work missing charges, edits, denials list and process appeals. Posts denials in IDX on a timely basis
- Posts all payments in IDX using approved methodologies
- May perform specialty coding for services and medical office visits and review physician coding and provide updated to physicians and staff
- Works TES, BAR and eCommerce edits for the division, department and physicians. Proficient in moderate to complex encounters and problematic accounts
- Works daily Accounts Receivable accounts via online work-file and/or hard-copy reports; checks claims status, re-submits claims, and writes appeal letters
- Researches unidentified checks sent to other departments
- Works credit balance report to ensure adherence to government regulations/guidelines
- Analyzes claims system reports to ensure underpayments are correctly identified and collected from key carriers. Reviews and resolves billing issues and provides recommendations
- Identifies and resolves credentialing issues for department physicians
- Meets with practice management, leadership and/or physicians on a scheduled basis to review Accounts Receivable and current billing concerns
- Mentors less experienced Billing staff and assists Billing Manager/FPA Manager in training new staff
- May approve EPIC work queue for outpatient encounters
- May be responsible to prepare and verify office hours schedules
- May be responsible for collection of time of service payments, and maintaining daily transaction record of collected payments
- May prepare TOS deposits in Sinai Central
- Maintains working knowledge and currency in third party payor requirements.
- Education: Associates Degree or high school diploma/GED plus 3 years of relevant experience
- Experience: 3 years of experience in medical billing or health claims, with experience in IDX billing systems in a health care or insurance environment, and familiarity with ICD/CPT coding
- CPC Preferred
- Training in computerized medical billing
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.