Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Job Title: Clinical Laboratory Technician I - Anatomic Pathology - Full time Day
Analyzes patient specimens, utilizing automated and manual
procedures as defined in the Laboratory Standard Operating Procedure Manuals.
Reports results of this analysis into the Laboratory Information System. Is
cognizant of the philosophy, standards, objectives and policies of the
Department and the Hospital Center.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Demonstrates the ability to perform clinical/technical/service/administrative tasks:
2. Performs all automated and /or manual tests on assigned bench, according to the standard operating procedure manuals.
3. Performs all tests within the slated turn-around time and enters results accurately into the LIS.
4. Enters results and completes worksheets with date, shift, initials and other required information. Files data appropriately.
5. Follows section Policies for handling missing and/ or unacceptable specimens; reports problems to Supervisor or Lead Technologists
6. Confirms abnormal results and institute correct follow up procedures. Repeats tests as required by Policies and Procedures
7. Performs calibrations and Quality Control as required by Standard Operating Procedures; documents appropriately.
8. Performs accurate analysis on all survey materials and Proficiency Testing when requested.
9. Recognizes abnormal or unusual test results and takes corrective action. Reports Alert Values or Life-threatening results immediately by telephone to appropriate Physician. Keeps records of the same. Reports significant findings to the Supervisor or Lead Technologist.
10. Performs and maintains appropriate records on instrument maintenance, troubleshooting and corrective action
11. Monitors inventory of Supplies and notifies Supervisor when low. Performs general housekeeping duties as assigned to maintain a safe and sanitary environment.
12. Assists co-workers as needed, to maintain required turn-around time for stat and routine testing.
13. Performs general housekeeping duties as assigned to maintain a safe and sanitary environment. Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
14. Complies with all safety and regulatory requirements; assists in preparation for regulatory inspections.
15. Identifies causes of problems and makes corrections following written procedures; notifies Supervisor when appropriate
16. Adheres to all LIS Downtime procedures.
17. Assists in preparation for regulatory inspections.
18. Adheres to all policies governing attendance.
19. Takes specimens and performs analysis in other MSH laboratories if required.
20. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area.
21. B. Organizational/Managerial
1. Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities.
2. Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
3. Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies.
4. Conducts performance checks and maintenance procedures as required by instrument manuals, including daily, weekly and monthly maintenance.
5. Maintains all required records and documentation in an orderly and legible manner.
6. Completes additional assignments within established time frames.
7. Participates in section training and competency programs.
8. Develops and establishes new methodology and analysis for research and clinical projects as needed.
22. C. Educational/Professional Development
1. Participates in the development of other staff members.
2. Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements.
3. Identifies learning strengths and needs
4. Utilizes learning resources.
5. Instructs and orients Medical Technology students, new employees, and pathology Residents on bench procedures.
6. Attends outside lectures with approval of supervisor and/or Managers.
7. Attends in-house educational meetings.
23. D. Communication/Relationships
1. Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with patients, families and significant others.
2. Displays courtesy, tact and patience during interactions with all members of the hospital staff and extended community.
3. Encourages positive communication within the Department.
4. Demonstrates a courteous, customer-service oriented manner with clients, visitors and co-workers
5. May be required to perform other duties as assigned or perform other duties when necessary.
Associate Degree. BS in Lab related Sciences preferred.
One Year of Practical Laboratory Training Experience
1. Clinical Laboratory Technician