Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Physician Assistant - Experienced required - General Surgery- Ambulatory -Outpatient - FT- 9:00-5:00
1. Assesses patient health by interview and by obtaining and/or updating medical history. Documents patient care services by charting in patient and department records.
2. Performs physical examinations and provides treatment and counsel. Recognizes and evaluates patients who require the immediate attention of a physician and, when necessary, initiates emergency medical treatment without supervision.
3. Determines abnormal conditions by administering or ordering diagnostic tests and laboratory studies. Follows-up on x-rays and laboratory data. Interprets diagnostic test results.
4. Performs therapeutic procedures such as injections, immunizations, suturing, post-operative care and management of wound care and infections. Utilizes diagnostic techniques, such as observation, palpation, percussion or auscultation.
5. Counsels patients regarding prescribed therapeutic regimens and health maintenance.
Education:Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant Program
Graduate from an ARC-PA (Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant) program, or equivalent as approved by the New York State Education Department.(Additional education/experience may be required for some specialty areas).
Current certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
Current licensure to practice as a Physician Assistant issued by the NYS Board of Medicine
Current unrestricted DEA certificate for mid-level providers. (Full schedule: 2, 2N, 3, 3N, 4, 5)
NYS Mandated Infection Control Course Certificate (renewable every four years)
Current BLS and ACLS certification (for all Departments other than Pediatrics)
Current BLS and PALS certification is required for all Physician Assistants working within the Department of Pediatrics. For Physician Assistants working in the public school system through the Mount Sinai Hospital Adolescent Health Center, only BLS certification is required.
3 years Physician’s Associate experience (2 years in specific patient population served) inclusive of moderate to complex cases and medical management of high-risk patients, with demonstrated attendance of educational seminars and completion of continuing education.
1. Physician Assistant