Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Manager, Information Technology (IT)
Icahn Institute for Data Science and Genomic Technology
Department for Genetics & Genomic Sciences
Roles & Responsibilities:
Under the broad guidance of the Senior Director, Operations, this position will be fully responsible for all Information Technology (IT) activities within the Icahn Institute for Data Science & Genomic Technology and the Department for Genetics & Genomic Sciences. This position will spend 65-70% of time managing, supporting internal customers and ensuring our Faculty and Staff have the hardware and software they need to do their jobs and 15-20% of their time leading continuous improvement initiatives for IT business processes The incumbent will spend the remaining 5-10% of their time on personal development and growth to ensure that they maintain their necessary certifications, skills and experience for the role.
IT Oversight for Institute and Department & Staff Management
- Lead and manage the GGS IT department. Directly manage one direct report.
- Administrative management includes working with staff to 1) set appropriate objectives and monitor against these, 2) provide career guidance and ensure employee(s) have talent development plans and meaningful discussions on an ongoing basis, 3) ensure compliance with training policy and procedures, and 4) conduct effective calibration of employee(s) and provide objective and honest assessments, including taking corrective measures if employee performance does not meet expectations.
- Provide management functions including recruitment, hiring, training, motivating and managing retention of existing employee(s).
- Must be able to work effectively with the Chair, Vice Chairs, Principal Investigators, Staff, etc. and build trusted and respected relationships with them.
- Plan, procure and implement various technologies to help the department run more efficiently.
- Ensure the organization’s technological infrastructure and services perform efficiently and effectively to meet the day-to-day and long-term strategic needs of the organization.
- Develop, maintain and adhere to IT policies and procedures for team and department.
- Define and communicate project milestones, scope of work, budget and resource allocation.
- Manage the operational and administrative elements within the IT department including: budgets, performance appraisals, staff training, projects, etc.
- Author and publish support documentation to assist staff with requests for information.
- Negotiate contracts and manage the delivery of services.
- Manage all IT vendors: negotiate costs and fees, set performance standards, monitor service, and uphold vendor SLAs.
- Manage and oversee all IT-related activities.
- Responsible for team collaboration, effective distribution of helpdesk tickets, and fair workload amongst the team members.
- Track all incoming and outgoing IT metrics.
IT Operational Process Improvements / Strategic Initiatives (15-20%)
- Serve as a liaison between Faculty and Azure, to plan, form and implement successful pipelines for various studies.
- Provide expertise for developing and implementing strategies designed to accomplish specific goals on pre-assigned topics.
- Formulate new operational strategies to reduce departmental cost on resources.
- Provide input into the evaluation and revision of processes and tools used to support the IT team’s needs, as appropriate.
- Establish good networks with a wide variety of employees, as appropriate to assist in the management and implementation of IT management and requirements.
- Take relevant training courses to increase knowledge and maintain certifications for Information Technology and to improve leadership skills.
- BS/MS/PhD with significant healthcare/pharmaceutical/ biotech industry or academic experience in both laboratory and office settings.
- 5-10+ years of Information Technology experience, help desk experience and/or related experience
- Specialized depth of expertise in own discipline and some knowledge of other disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and accomplish goals in team settings
- Ability to relate IT needs/requirements to larger divisional / corporate strategies and to provide context to Institute and Department
- Effective interpersonal skills; able to establish good working relationships and collaborate with networks of employees of all levels; able to foster cooperation in others; creative problem-solver.
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Knows when and how to speak up and appropriately raise issues to the team and management
- Keeps team members, departmental colleagues (as appropriate) and management fully apprised of IT status and issues
- Demonstrated leadership and credibility: diplomatic, decisive, straightforward, honest
- Ability to delegate work effectively and hold others accountable for deliverables
- 5-10 years of healthcare/pharmaceutical/ biotech industry or academic experience
- Experience in leading teams, committees or task forces