Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of RTC LAB (MSH) - Req Number: 2475752
Receives specimens, documents the macroscopic descriptions
and prepares moderate to high complexity surgical pathology specimens for
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Receives specimens for diagnostic purposes.
2. Enters all necessary information about the macroscopic description of specimens in the computer
3. Interprets physician instructions written on test requisition that is accompanying the specimens.
4. Analyzes, grossly describes and dissects moderate to high complexity pathology specimens.*
5. Retrieves biopsy specimen containers
for quality control issues.*
6. Collates bottles according to procedures for storage purposes
7. Maintains cleanliness of grossing area.
8.Ensures accountability of each specimen container grossed.
9.Exercises safety precautions.
10. Performs related duties.
AA degree with science or biology and anatomy credits
NYS Clinical Lab Technician or Technologist or NYS Histology Technician or Technologist license
Basic to Intermediate knowledge in MS Word
Five years of experience in grossing surgical pathology specimens
1.Exerts up to 10-15 lbs of force
2.Must be able to work in an area where dead bodies or body parts are kept/examined
3.Must meet the general requirements of the Medical Center as defined in Personnel Policy 13.2
4.Maintain a neat and orderly appearance and be punctual in attendance
5.Follows the policies of Medical Center
6.Works with and handles Biohazard (TB, HIV, Hepatitis, etc) and toxic chemicals
7.Tolerates allowable limit of chemical odor
8.Follows written and verbal instruction accurately and with good judgment
9.Learns new procedures as required
10.Maintains orderliness and cleanliness in working area