Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Semantic Front End Developer is responsible for driving and leading the technology direction and production implementation of current and future development and support for the front end component of the Human Aware Data Acquisition framework (HADatAc) its ontology browser and faceted search tools for the Children’s Health Exposure Analysis Resource (CHEAR). This individual may function as a team lead and influence strategic technical implementation and provide creative solutions for very complex requirements for the CHEAR Data Center. CHEAR’s goal is to expand the inclusion of environmental exposures in research. This position will work closely with environmental epidemiologists and other stakeholders nationwide, IT team members and the originators of HADatAc at RPI.
- Conducts independent analyses and reviews of technical and data requirements to achieve the semantic/ontology goals for CHEAR, utilizing an in-depth knowledge of technological alternatives and directions and science-driven requirements.
- Develops software innovations, enhancing operations and provides a competitive advantage to CHEAR. Acts as the primary technical resource and consultant for semantic/ontology technologies.
- Ensures HADatAc technical designs and implementation comply with best practices and applicable architecture standards and designs are functionally and technically feasible. Develops and supports software following best practices for software engineering.
- Validates, measures and enhances the software’s ability to meet the science-driven requirements, meeting performance, integration, and scalability requirements.
- Establishes, communicates, and enforces best practices for application design patterns, interface standards, and development guidelines.
- Promotes, clearly communicates the architectural solutions to mobilize the rest of the organization to build solutions that fit CHEAR’s needs.
- Plays a critical role in the investigation of new technologies to provide development viability of architectural initiatives to meet medium to long term business needs.
- Adjusts product architecture as CHEAR’s requirements, market conditions and technology evolve.
- Establishes solutions architectural processes and standards to guide the rest of the development organization.
- Partners with researchers and development teams on oversight for all requirements to formulate appropriate architecture required to provide system functionality, deciding when to advocate and when to compromise to arrive at mutually acceptable solutions.
- Understands the overarching CHEAR goals and objectives. Investigates and proposes semantic web/ontology technology strategies to meet those objectives by introducing innovation through technology.
- Works with the development team to translate software architecture into design. Translates design into software. Collaborates with developers and architects at other sites.
- Writes documentation and provides training. Assist with publications, proposals and presentations.
- Performs related duties as assigned or requested.
- Master of Science degree in Computer Science; PhD in Computer Science preferred
- 12-15 years preferred of software development experience using best practices for software engineering.
- Demonstrated experience in semantic web/ontologies, 7y and Java required. Understanding of W3C standards including RDF, OWL, RDFS, PROV, SPARQL.
- Understanding of semantic study designs and data dictionaries including codebooks is a plus.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.