Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Semantic Java Web Developer is responsible for driving and leading the technology direction and production implementation of current and future development and support for the front end component of the Human Aware Data Acquisition framework (HADatAc) its ontology browser and faceted search tools for the Children’s Health Exposure Analysis Resource (CHEAR). This individual may function as a team lead and influence strategic technical implementation and provide creative solutions for very complex requirements for the CHEAR Data Center. CHEAR’s goal is to expand the inclusion of environmental exposures in research. This position will work closely with environmental epidemiologists and other stakeholders nationwide, IT team members and the originators of HADatAc at RPI.
- Conducts independent analyses and reviews of technical and data requirements to achieve the semantic/ontology goals for CHEAR, utilizing an in-depth knowledge of technological alternatives and directions and science-driven requirements.
- Develops software innovations, enhancing operations and provides a competitive advantage to CHEAR. Acts as the primary technical resource and consultant for semantic/ontology technologies.
- Ensures HADatAc technical designs and implementation comply with best practices and applicable architecture standards and designs are functionally and technically feasible. Develops and supports software following best practices for software engineering.
- Validates, measures and enhances the software’s ability to meet the science-driven requirements, meeting performance, integration, and scalability requirements.
- Establishes, communicates, and enforces best practices for application design patterns, interface standards, and development guidelines.
- Promotes, clearly communicates the architectural solutions to mobilize the rest of the organization to build solutions that fit CHEAR’s needs.
- Plays a critical role in the investigation of new technologies to provide development viability of architectural initiatives to meet medium to long term business needs.
- Adjusts product architecture as CHEAR’s requirements, market conditions and technology evolve.
- Establishes solutions architectural processes and standards to guide the rest of the development organization.
- Partners with researchers and development teams on oversight for all requirements to formulate appropriate architecture required to provide system functionality, deciding when to advocate and when to compromise to arrive at mutually acceptable solutions.
- Understands the overarching CHEAR goals and objectives. Investigates and proposes semantic web/ontology technology strategies to meet those objectives by introducing innovation through technology.
- Works with the development team to translate software architecture into design. Translates design into software. Collaborates with developers and architects at other sites.
- Writes documentation and provides training. Assist with publications, proposals and presentations.
- Performs related duties as assigned or requested.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience; PhD in Computer Science preferred.
- 5+ years software development experience using best practices for software engineering.
- Strong Java skills and experience required.
- Experience in one or more of the following is required (with a strong penchant for mastering the remaining skills):
- Search Engines (Lucene/SOLR).
- Experience with Semantic Web/Ontologies.
- Understanding of W3C standards including RDF, OWL, RDFS, PROV and knowledge based management with the use of SPARQL, turtle documents and XML/OWL encodings.
- Understanding of semantic study designs and data dictionaries including codebooks.