Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- The Offsite Patient Coordinator I greets and establishes first contact with patients in the practice or via telephone. This individual performs in a reception capacity, confirms and updates patient demographics and verifies insurance as necessary to ensure that patients have active coverage.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1. Greets patients either in person or via telephone, and updates their insurance/demographics in the practice management system. Obtains insurance authorizations as required.
2. 2. Communicates the patient’s arrival with appropriate staff, and ensures that the patient’s medical record is available for the physician.
3. 3. Processes/updates HIPAA-related paperwork and other institutional forms as necessary.
4. 4. Monitors waiting area on a routine basis and ensures that patients are kept advised of wait times.
5. 5. May schedule patient for follow-up appointment as needed. Provides patient with guidelines for requesting medical records, if necessary.
6. 6. May perform simple charge entry tasks and enter payments collected from patients.
7. 7. Answers phones for practice and schedule appointments.
8. 8. Follows HIPAA and any other governmental or state agency requirements regarding the appropriate handling of PHI documents.
9. 9. May initiate reminder phones calls for next day appointments.
10. 10. Other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma/GED.
1 year minimum of physician practice experience.
Must have a minimum of one week of training on site (provided by the practice)
Medical Office setting experience preferred, including utilizing a computerized program for physician scheduling.
1. Ability to communicate effectively with multicultural and language-deficit patients
2. Effective interpersonal and communications skills required
3. Excellent telephone etiquette
4. Medical terminology familiarity and ability to understand HIPAA guidelines
5. Must be able to adapt to a growing and changing environment