Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Patient Encounter Associate performs all support functions related to patient reception, scheduling and financial pre-clearance, ensuring a high degree of patient satisfaction and maximum reimbursement to the institution. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: scheduling, pre-registration, self-pay screening and insurance eligibility determination. Responsible for obtaining and verifying patient demographic and insurance information, determining insurance/payment source, identifying necessary authorization or referral requirements, and assisting with determining and resolving insurance issues.
- Greets patients in person and by telephone and updates their insurance/demographic information in the practice management system.
- Gathers registration and financial information for patient pre-registration, enters the information into the practice management system and ensures all entries are complete and accurate.
- Answers phones for the practice; schedules, re-schedules and cancels patient appointments based on established protocols.
- Contacts patients at home to confirm scheduled and cancelled appointments.
- Checks in patients upon arrival at the practice and performs full registration, including: verification of demographics, completion of financial screening, prioritizing and verifying insurance as appropriate with third-party providers, making follow-up appointments, discussing MSMC?s self-pay policy for new patients, completing of Medicare as Secondary Payer questionnaire if appropriate, and having patient read and sign NOPP
- Education: HS/GED; Associates degree preferred.
- Microsoft office suite (Word, Outlook, Excel) ? basic proficiency.
- Keyboarding skills are necessary, CERNER, EPIC or other practice management experience preferred.
- Experience: 1 year physician practice experience. Must have a minimum of one week training on-site which will be provided by practice. Preferred: experience in a medical office setting, utilizing a computer system for physician scheduling.
- General Skills: Effective interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Excellent telephone etiquette Knowledge of medical terminology strongly preferred.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.